tile up

Old 11-13-00, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've been laying alot of tile for the past week. Yesterday, I discovered that 2 of the tiles I laid a couple of days ago had come up! I don't know why....maybe I walked on them too early? I'm now worried that more of the tiles are going to come up. I've followed the directions for the thinset and I've looked through a couple of books on how to lay tile. Any suggestions to ease my mind?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-00, 05:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Jack,

I think you'll need to provide a little more info. Are you laying the tiles on a concrete slab or over a wood subfloor? Are you using regular thinset or multi-purpose? How soon did you walk on the tiles after installing them? What type of tiles are you installing?

Questions, questions. I know, but there could be several reasons why you're having the problem.

John

Old 11-14-00, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for thre reply, John.
I am laying porcelain tiles, using latex-modified thinset (brand is TEC), over a gyp-span floor (with radiant tubes under). I tried not to walk on the tiles for 24 hours, but I may have accidentally stepped on them...I was performing a ballerina act in order to get into the kitchen at times. I'm worried that all my tiles are going to pop up over time.

Old 11-14-00, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Rich Gately, one of the moderators of this forum has had experience with gyp crete. We don't use it down here in Houston. I hate to say this (really I do), but we don't have a problem with cold floors in our semi-tropical paradise.

Come on, Rich.

John Bridge.

Old 11-14-00, 09:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Well, this evening I went around tapping some of the tiles with the heel of my trowel. One tile sounded kind of hollow, so I put some pressure on the side of it and it popped off. It seems that the thinset coverage on the tile itself is spotty....not completely covering the tile. Is it possible that I didn't do a good job of combing the thinset out? Also, now I need to grind down the thinset which is stuck to the floor (hard as a rock). How do I accomplish this?

Jack

Old 11-15-00, 04:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hi Jack;
I hope the radiant heat was not on when you set your tile. If it was it may have skined over your thinset too quick to insure a proper bond to the tile.Gypcrete or gypspan is very porous and sucks the water out of the thinset pretty quickly without any heat on it. Unfortunately whats done is done. In getting the thinset off thats a hammer and chisel job go slow and steady.Be careful of the other tiles (of course.) I'm not saying that if the heat was on that its not going to work (maybe you did step on them.) If you find any more "hollow" sounding tile remove them and chisel up the old and re-set them.
Good Luck and Regards,
Rich Gately (Tileman1) www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com

Old 11-15-00, 07:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Thank you, Rich. Although I did turn off the radiant heat (I read a post a couple of weeks ago where you suggested it), I might be guilty of letting the thinset 'skin over' as you said. I did try the chisel last night, and it is really hard work. Is there a power tool method, or is the hammer and chisel really the best way to go. Jack

Old 11-15-00, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Jack,

Of course there are power tools, but you're going to choke yourself to death using them. Terrible dust everywhere. Do the hard work. Use the chisel. The thought of it will remind you in the future to not let your thin set overglaze before you get the tile on it. Don't spread too large of an area. Pick a tile up once in a while to make sure the thin set is bonding to its back. Hang in there. You'll make it.

John

Old 11-16-00, 04:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Jack;
Ahhhhhhhhh the life of setting tile!
Go with the chisel (less chance of hurting something)
Like John says "Hang in there, you'll make it"
By the way good jobs are always hard work!
Regards,
Rich

Old 11-16-00, 09:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you guys! Last night I did the hard work....it wasn't all that bad, but I did bang my hand once. The thinset definitely sticks to the gypspan floor. I had a hard time preventing the first 1/8 inch of gypspan from coming off with the thinset. However, I did manage to chisel the surface down to where I can re-lay a tile. Thanks again for being here. Jack