GROUT COLOR PROBLEM

Old 11-16-00, 04:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

HI,
I'm wondering if you can help me out ,I just finished my tile in our kitchen and the grout that we picked out looked ok on the sample (paper sample) but now that I'm done and the grout dried it 's too light it really stands out ,is there any solution like a stain to make it darker ? I really apreciate your help!!!!
claudio.

Old 11-17-00, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Hey Claudio,

Yes, there are grout "colorants." You paint the joints with them. I have instructions on my site:
http://www.johnbridge.com/Grout%20Colorants.htm

If it's a case of the grout appearing chalky, you might try washing it with tile cleaner, obtainable from tile supply stores. Sometimes during the grouting process too much water is introduced, and it causes a deposit on the grout surface as it dries. Scratch a joint or two and see if your desired color is just under the surface. Grout colorant is a last resort, as it is not permanent.

Lots of luck,

John

[This message has been edited by John Bridge (edited November 17, 2000).]

Old 11-17-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

the grout will darken with age if you can wait that long. I have used a few grout coloring systems with varied results. Usually I was not at all satisfied with how they turned out. Liquid shoe polish has worked good for me to color small areas but it does not last forever. I'd say live with it for a while and if you really cant stand it then do something otherwise you run the risk of ruining your new floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: