Cement board as finished floor

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-05, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cement board as finished floor

I'm interested in using cement boards as a finished floor. I like the look of Cembonit and Minerit but the only supplier is in Louisville. It would cost a fortune to get it to Arizona. I've looked at Hardi-board 500 and it has a 'green' cast to it. It also has printed letters that would be a pain to remove. I plan on setting it with thinset and then sealing it. The panels would be cut into 2'x 4' rectangles.
My home is modern/minimalist. The concrete floors I have now are pretty beat up. Lots of carpet tack holes and one major crack. I like the look of an untouched concrete floor...just cut and sealed.
Any ideas on this are appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 01:22 PM
gwataloo
Visiting Guest
self leveling motor might be the way to go.

Old 08-06-05, 01:35 PM
self leveling motor?

I'm looking for recommendations for cement board that I can use as a finished floor.

I don't understand your reply

Old 08-06-05, 04:13 PM
This is nuts and will look like crap, backerboards aren't used over slabs for tile, but seeing you aren't tiling and you want this, just thinset down Durock or Wonderboard, still will look like crap.

Why don't you look into stained concrete.

http://www.elitecrete.com/?OVRAW=con...OVMTC=standard

Old 08-07-05, 10:53 AM
The HardiBacker 500 says that it's used for floors and walls. Do you mean that they don't use backerboard over concrete slabs but that they use it over plywood? I haven't looked that up but I appreciate your feedback. My concern is with the look. The last thing I want is for it to look like crap.

I contacted www.CBF11.com and they informed me that a few commercial places have used their Cembonit and Minerit for flooring. An art gallery and a few Guess stores. I think their stuff is a different breed of cement fiber board though. Unfortunately the only place to get it is Louisville. It's not terribly expensive but when you add shipping it comes to about 10.00 a square foot. Then you have to offload it with a forklift when it gets here.

Last night I lightly sanded the top of the Hardibacker with drywall sandpaper, wiped it down and then used Miracle High Gloss Finish on it. It's a beautiful color with a high gloss shine
I'll have it posted here
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=9AZMWrZw3asQU
in an hour or so...

Being a TileGuy, I would appreciate any other comments or suggestions you might have. I like the idea of being able to cut my cement tiles instead of scoring the actual floor..another reason for finding something that goes on top of the concrete..plus the concrete slab is horrible.
Stain is pretty much out of the question. I need something light..nearly white. I even considered epoxy floors at one time..

Old 06-23-08, 12:52 PM
Cement Beard as Flooring

Hi,

I was searching the web for anyone using cement board as flooring and saw your post (from 05') on doityourself.com. It looked like you were experimenting with HardiBacker 500 and I wondered if you were succesful? I'm very interested in trying the same thing. The latest issue of Dwell Magazine (June 08') has an article called "Bay Wash" in which a SanFransisco home has hardiboard (in 4'x8' sheets) as flooring and it looks awesome.

Dylan

Old 06-23-08, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With so many flooring options, why on earth would you want this as your flooring? It would be a pain to maintain and would look like.....junk........

Old 06-23-08, 08:39 PM
Hey Dylan,

That's something goofy like we'd expect to see over at HGTV. Hardie can NOT be used as the finished flooring. Maybe they covered it with something clear or ? Hardie contains silica and other nasty things that will wear off with traffic. It's not good for your health.

I'd be interested in reading the article, went to Dwell Mag's site but no mention and I'm not going to waste $$ on a silly idea.

Jaz

Old 06-24-08, 01:23 AM
This is a new one....never seen were it was the finished floor. Used it many times as a underlayment....the stuff i have used are lettered and have little bumps from the cement and fiber grid in it...it is also brittle...drop something heavy and i would imagine you would dent it or break off pieces.

Old 06-24-08, 08:02 AM
This was probably a joke back in 05 when the post first appeared and it remains a joke today.

Old 06-24-08, 08:38 AM
I know it sounds hard to believe but, in the vein of polished concrete as finished floors, "artsie" citizen's are looking at the smooth surfaced hardi as a finished floor. I've been asked to quote installing our Zmesh element under it as floor warming in NYC. It's no joke. Gotta keep up with what's new guys!

Old 06-24-08, 03:38 PM
I don't believe any manufacturer states you can use this as a finished floor.

keep up with what's new guys!
Ah.....so if people start using roofing felt as a finished floor, I guess it's "new" and everyone should do it........

Old 06-24-08, 07:16 PM
I know it sounds hard to believe but, in the vein of polished concrete as finished floors, "artsie" citizen's are looking at the smooth surfaced hardi as a finished floor. I've been asked to quote installing our Zmesh element under it as floor warming in NYC. It's no joke. Gotta keep up with what's new guys!
BULL-LONEY!!!

HEY!!! I KNOW!!! They could use the 1/4" Hardie with the little grids and be really eclectic.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 06-24-08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 10:44 AM
I also saw it in Dwell. Let me know if you find out more.

Old 07-08-08, 01:15 PM
James Hardie Co makes no claims that hardibacker can be used as a finished floor. I would suggest that you contact them directly to find out if hardi can be used as a finished floor. I think I already know the answer though and the reasons why.

Old 07-08-08, 02:46 PM
HEY!!! I KNOW!!! They could use the 1/4" Hardie with the little grids and be really eclectic.
What kinda grout would you use for all those little grid lines?

Old 02-27-10, 06:26 PM
Hardipanel as finished floor

So - did anybody do this? how's it holding up? I think i might do it too - wondering what sort of sealers made you happy.

btw guys - ain't nobody talking about using HARDIBACKER as finished flooring (that would just be silly and stoopid, now wouldn't it?) - we're talking about using HardiPANEL - perhaps you've heard of it? it's the stuff you put on the outside of your house as siding?

Architect Christi Azevedo has championed doing this and it looks amazing! Bay Wash - Slideshows - Dwell

speak up! who did - and what can you tell me?

Last edited by elitemodernist; 02-27-10 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-10, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You may be alone. The last post of this 5 year old thread was a year and a half ago.

Old 04-14-10, 07:02 PM
maybe dead - but maybe sleeping

this is a new idea, and since it was shown in Dwell magazine several other architects have done it. now that people are beginning to look for affordable, sustainable, off the shelf options that look great in modern homes i'm guessing this post will sleep for awhile and come back.

anyway, for posterity, should posterity care - the product to use in NOT Hardie 500, that's a tile underlayment.

use HardiePanel Vertical Smooth panels. these are an exterior siding product. they come painted or primed, but you can also order them un-primed from the pro-desk at Home Depot.

Old 05-25-10, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by warmsmeallup View Post
Well I can't speak for other's tastes but I think the recent trend with all this finished concrete on floors, counter tops etc. is just plain ugly. Using cement board as flooring would be BUTT ugly.

I need something light..nearly white.
Why not just lay down sheets of drywall? It's already the color you want and no less stupid than cement board.

Old 05-27-10, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by elitemodernist View Post
this is a new idea, and since it was shown in Dwell magazine several other architects have done it. now that people are beginning to look for affordable, sustainable, off the shelf options that look great in modern homes i'm guessing this post will sleep for awhile and come back.

anyway, for posterity, should posterity care - the product to use in NOT Hardie 500, that's a tile underlayment.

use HardiePanel Vertical Smooth panels. these are an exterior siding product. they come painted or primed, but you can also order them un-primed from the pro-desk at Home Depot.
You people do know Hardi products contain crystalline silica which is not good to your health? It will be especially more unhealthy once it starts seeing foot traffic, which will break down the material and create silica dust.

Food for thought....

Old 09-05-10, 06:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea

I found this thread because this idea occurred to me, also inspired by Dwell. Lots of negative reactions here, but a few trying to make this work. Those of us interested seek a low cost way of achieving a modern look. I imagine it for:

1. Floors, as discussed here.

2. Shower walls and floors.

3. Cover for wood deck, to eliminate expensive and time consuming maintenance of wood. Now your deck is concrete.

The concern about silica dust would be eliminated by epoxy coat, right?

Old 09-06-10, 08:54 AM
These people are loons. Cement board manufacturers did not make their products as a wear layer, period. Just because some idiot in Dwell magazine did it, does not make it smart or the new "thing", it just makes them dumb. Not only do you have the health concerns I mentioned, the cement boards (Hardi) is way to soft and will easily be damaged.

Paulhue,

Why would you cover a nice wooden deck with hideous looking cement board? It would not protect the wood at all because cement board is not wasterproof.

Old 09-06-10, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Let's be honest. Cement board as a finished floor is one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard.

Old 10-04-10, 08:45 AM
None of the manufacturers of cement board make any claims that their board can be used as a wear layer. This whole thread is nonsense. I agree with Sam, its a dumb idea. Call the manufacturers and see what they have to say about it.

Old 10-04-10, 09:01 AM
How about using fiberglass attic isulation in place of carpeting? Yeee Haw!

Closed Thread