Preparing concrete floor for tile

Old 08-09-05, 09:42 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preparing concrete floor for tile

I am preparing to install ceramic tile over concrete in a basement bathroom. The concrete is painted and has a patched section where the plumbing was run so I assume I need to grind it to remove the paint and even out some rough spots.

I have two questions.
1. What is the best tool to use to grind the concrete surface. The room is small (35 sf) so I would rather use a hand tool.
2. How even does the floor need to be for 12x12 ceramic tile? Is there a maximum deviation (ex. 1/8") that I should be shooting for? I am also planning to use Schluter-DITRA as a decoupling layer between the concrete and tile if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 06:57 PM
PhilC
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

There are scrub brushes made of stiff metal bristles designed to bite into concrete floors and you'll usually find them in the tile section or masonory trowel area of your local hardware store.

Thouroughly clean and consider using a muriatic or sulfaamic acid concrete cleaner/etcher prior to any further work(Drylok/SunnyDry to name a few). Also nows the time to patch/remove any loose/cracked flooring.

As far as insuring an even base on such a small area, one of the easiest fixes is to apply a self leveling mortar mix. AS stated it is self leveling, just pour and cure.

Prior to using it you might want to use a latex primer to aid in adhereing. Personally I always do this, but that's just me

Old 08-09-05, 07:09 PM
PhilC
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Forgot to mention you might want to review the thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=225522
concerning garage floors. Although your tiling, the details concerning preping and cleaning the suface area apply to your project as well

Are the tiles you plan on using ceramicmosaic sheets are solid tiles? Depending on cost you might want to consider a porcelain tile which also = the water resistance of ceramic. Due to the small area, check out the clearence sections of Lowes/ HD, or your local hardware suplly store) You can find some great deals in these areas especially since your likely to only need 2 boxes of the 12" X 12" tiles you have chosen.

Look forward to updates

Old 08-19-05, 06:54 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update

I tried scraping the paint off with a paint scrapper. It worked but it was very slow and it didn't solve the problems with the patched sections of concrete. So, I rented a concrete grinder from HD. It was basically an angle grinder with a 7" diamond grinding disk. It had a rubber guard with a vacuum attachment which formed a seal with the floor when the vacuum was on. It made pretty quick work of the small area and evened everything out. It was a bit expensive (mostly buying the grinding disk) but it did a great job.