backsplash tile

Old 08-10-05, 09:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question backsplash tile

Hi, I have a few questions about tiling our back splash in the kitchen. We're wanting to use the small tile that comes on netting. They're either 1 x 1, 2 x 2 and have run across 3 x 3 tile thats on the 12x12 piece of netting. I know these will be easier to install around light switches etc. but there will still be times they have to be cut. They are natural stone, such as marble, slate..etc...

What do we use to cut or trim them to go around things?
Also what type of mastic to stick them to the wallboard and I want an almond colored grout, do they sell it that way or does it have to be colored? Whats the best to seal it with, after we finish it?

Thank for any and all help and ideals its very appreciated.
Debbie

Old 08-10-05, 05:09 PM
T
You'll need a wet saw to cut stone.

Grout comes in all colors, so does matching color caulk, which you'll need for the joint at the countertop to tile and tile to under cabinets.

I would use modified thinset for stone, no mastic or anything that comes in a tub.

Old 08-11-05, 06:20 AM
C
Question Thanks Tileman

Thanks for the prompt reply and info..this is something I've never done and need all the help I can get

Do I have to use the wet saw on even the small cuts? How about nippers or something like that? These tiles are already so small. I don't know alot about a wet saw but these tiles are only 1x1 or 2x2.
Also I thought I'd read that thinset was mainly for floor tile, not wall tile. Because it was so thin. And what do you suggest for sealer when I'm done?
Thanks again

Old 08-11-05, 08:11 AM
J
Originally Posted by catzcar
Thanks for the prompt reply and info..this is something I've never done and need all the help I can get

Do I have to use the wet saw on even the small cuts? How about nippers or something like that? These tiles are already so small. I don't know alot about a wet saw but these tiles are only 1x1 or 2x2.
Also I thought I'd read that thinset was mainly for floor tile, not wall tile. Because it was so thin. And what do you suggest for sealer when I'm done?
Thanks again
You will definitely need a wet saw to cut the stone...especially smaller stone pieces. You mentioned that a reason you are using the small tiles on netting is because ease of installation. From past experience, using tile on netting is a pain in the neck. There is so much movement and sometimes the pieces actually fall off the netting. Also, when you are placing it on the thinset, because there are spaces in between the small tiles, the thinset comes up through the cracks and doesnt spread evenly...you almost have to have the thinset spread evenly and perfectly on the wall before putting up the tile...and sometimes you think you do and you dont so you have to take the tile off and build up certain areas or take away from certain spots to make it semi level.

Now, if you LOVE it, go for it...but if you are looking for something that might be a little easier...you might want to use a 4X4 inch tumble marble for the backsplash. It (IMPO) will be much easier.

Old 08-11-05, 05:29 PM
T
For moasaic or small stone on sheets, remove the tiles that will have to get cut that go around the outlets, place all the sheets on the wall, use a grout float with even pressure, light tapping to get everything even.

It will take some practice as to how much thinset to place so you don't have alot oozing up through the joints and clean any that does at least 2/3rds down, as to leave room for the grout.

Now cut and place any tile that needs cutting one at a time, don't place the whole sheet on the saw, if a row has to be cut in half, just take that row and place it with the sheet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: