Shower repair

Old 08-11-05, 09:25 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower repair

Our master bath shower had some loose tiles and apparently the backing board was bad. We noticed that there was a concave flex in the wall. Well tonite, it fell down, no not the whole shower, but about 10 tiles in the middle.

We just purchase the home a year ago and this was probably here when we bought it be never noticed.

When I pulled all the loose tiles off, the board behind it was definitely busted and the mastic looked bad. I guess they were separating from the board for some time.

I felt around in there and it appears that the damage is limited to about 2 square feet.

Can I repair that area or do I need to redo the entire side? Also, can I reuse the tiles or do I need to use new ones?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 08-12-05, 07:56 AM
P
Where was this moved to??????

Old 08-12-05, 01:07 PM
gwataloo
Visiting Guest
If it were mine I would tear it all out and start from scratch. I'll bet that if you tore out a couple of rows higher that it will show water damage.. Once sheetrock or green board gets wet it acts like a sponge. I'll bet there is a strong mildew smell too. If so that's defentally not good for your health. If you do happen to tear it out wear a mask , gloves and make sure it is well ventalated.

Old 08-12-05, 02:03 PM
T
I agree, time to get out the credit card and go shopping, a new install is all I would do.

Old 08-12-05, 03:25 PM
P
It looks like there is damage to the insulation behind it and it is weird, appears to be cement board for the first two feet up from the shower pan and then just drywall and the tile looks like it was set on it. No water membrane behind the drywall.

I am only going to do the one wall at this time (I know it is a shortcut) but time and money are my two problems.

Pete

Old 08-12-05, 04:41 PM
T
Just so you know, good chance the grout will not match from wall to wall unless done with the same grout at the same time, unless white is used, believe me, if you decide to do this yourself, not that expensive, unless you go with nice tile with trim and borders and such.

Old 08-12-05, 07:07 PM
P
Nope. White is in there and white will stay there. Grout, tile, floor...all white.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: