tiling over edge of bathtub

Old 08-13-05, 09:26 PM
Hendley
Visiting Guest
tiling over edge of bathtub

I am building a shower enclosure around my bathtub and then tiling it. I need to tile up to the edge of the tub (as opposed to the new drop-in tubs which have sit on top of the tile). I am using Hardibacker (a new, to me anyway, type of backerboard). How do I go about tiling this rim/edge around the tub. Do I need to put plywood around the edge and then cover that with Hardibacker/backerboard and then tile onto that. Or can I just put Hardibacker/backerboard? Or can I just tile directly to the tub itself (it is an old porcelain covered iron insert). Because I am building an enclosure, I probably will need to get some sort of support from the edge,so I am thinking plywood andthen backerboard. If so, do I just cut small edge tiles to fit that small edge all around (it will be the width of the plywood and backerboard). It seems like a pretty small edge and that the tiles would be liable to fall off or chip off.

Anyway, any advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 11:05 PM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
corian?

I cannot quite picture your project regarding the trim tile adjacent to the tub & why they are required, but that does not matter much.
Anyhoo, tiny tile pieces should be avoided near a fixture. They will probably not last long as a water barrier.
Consider using Corian if you need filler / bullnose strips.