Ceramic in bathroom over old vinyl

Old 08-14-05, 01:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic in bathroom over old vinyl

Just moved into a new house and want to remodel the bathroom. The 16 year old Vinyl floor was starting to peal up and I have removed it. Unfortunately, the glue and backing did not come up with the vinyl.

What is my best course of action? Can the tile go onto of the backing material or should I replace the sub-floor? Can I install a new sub-floor or tile backer board on top of the existing sub-floor?

If I install a new backer board on top of the existing, will I have to rework the existing toilet rough-ins?

Thanks for the assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 04:42 PM
T
And, what do you have for a subfloor under the vinyl, how many layers of what and how thick is each one?, one thing at a time.

No, you can not tile on what you have there now.

Old 08-22-05, 09:34 PM
T
Originally Posted by shw104
Just moved into a new house and want to remodel the bathroom. The 16 year old Vinyl floor was starting to peal up and I have removed it. Unfortunately, the glue and backing did not come up with the vinyl.

What is my best course of action? Can the tile go onto of the backing material or should I replace the sub-floor? Can I install a new sub-floor or tile backer board on top of the existing sub-floor?

If I install a new backer board on top of the existing, will I have to rework the existing toilet rough-ins?

Thanks for the assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Scott
As mentioned above... don't tile over glue/backing.

You can install "Wonderboard" or equivelant over the existing floor and tile directly to that... but it will raise your floor level about a half inch plus the thickness of the tile.

If you do install new board, you'll have to raise your toilet rough in to be flush with your new finished floor... if it's PVC, it's a simple matter of cutting out the old and reinstalling a new one.... sometimes it's possible to just use a "double thickness wax ring" over your existing flange, but I don't recommend it...........

Old 08-23-05, 05:20 PM
T
I'm assuming this is a wood subfloor and not concrete?