ceramic tile over hardwood in bathroom

Old 08-15-05, 11:25 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ceramic tile over hardwood in bathroom

I have seen this on here before, but i have a question i haven't seen answered yet…

I have a 1920's house, and i removed 3 layers of flooring and subflooring in my bathroom. i reached hardwood, with remnants of black tar paper on it, and this floor is level with the hardwood outside the bathroom. i have bought durock cement backer board, and plan on using this under the tile. a few questions first…

1) do i need to install some sort of plastic on top of the hardwood to protect against water damage?

2) do i need to remove the hardwood floor or tar residue or can durock go on top?

3) do i need to lay 3/8" mortar underneath durock or can i just screw it to hardwood?

4) do i need to tape/mortar the seams of the durock before laying mortar & tile?

5) does the durock need to lay perpendicular to the hardwood? (bathroom floor is only 4' x 7' so we're talking 3-4 sheets of durock max)

6) will 6" tiles be much less prone to cracking than 12" tiles?

thanks for your help! these forums are absolutely great for diy-ers. thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 04:37 PM
T
First remove the hardwood and let us know what you have under it.

Hardwood shouldn't be a subfloor for tile, I have gone over it a few times for small areas such as yours, but only with a full mud job, 1 1/4" of mud over tar paper and wire lath, other than that, rip it out.

Old 08-16-05, 07:44 AM
M
i was hoping to avoid removing the hardwood. unfortunately, the wood runs underneath the tub in the bathroom and a 1/2 wall that were both installed afterwords, so i wouldn't be able to get the hardwood out without removing both of those, which is not an option i'm willing to think about! the hardwood is sitting on top of a sub floor (plywood i'm sure) on top of the floor joists, all in all it's sitting up about 1 3/8"… is it possible to install on top of this? i had read people online that had, and just had the additional questions from my original post. thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-16-05, 03:36 PM
T
If you leave it, there is a risk of failure, just have to let you know this, also, you CAN NOT install cementboard or any type of backerboard directly over hardwood or any plank flooring, this is sure failure, the only way I would even try it without doing a mud job, is to install 3/4" plywood over it, then an isolation membrane such as Ditra, this will still raise the floor about an inch, so again, for the extra 1/4", worth the mud job.

Old 08-18-05, 07:40 AM
M
yeah i was checking on the mud job…*wasn't sure. picked up hardibacker last night, with some good mortar and a flex additive… will put skim coat down under backer, and install backer with 3" screws to get all the way down to the joists… sound good? do i need to tape the seems?

Old 08-18-05, 06:08 PM
T
NO!, you CAN NOT set Hardibacker directly over the hardwood, it WILL fail.

And, you DO NOT want the CBU screwed to the joist, that's bad also.