Using slate outdoors?

Old 08-22-05, 11:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using slate outdoors?

I was brainstorming (8 months in advance ) of possibly putting down slate tiles on the back patio (uncovered) of our new place. The patio will be cement. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 03:05 PM
T
Yes, but if this is a freeze thaw region, I would go with a Porcelain that looks like stone, there are many.

Old 08-22-05, 03:27 PM
J
Originally Posted by Tileman
Yes, but if this is a freeze thaw region, I would go with a Porcelain that looks like stone, there are many.
Actually I am in Tampa, so the freezing/thaw is definitely not a factor. Rumor has it that slate gets quite slippery when wet and this area is not covered and will connect the back of the house to the detached garage (meaning we will be walking on it wet during the rainy season).

How would this be applied to a cement slab? Just by using a thinset?...

Thanks TM.

Old 08-22-05, 03:52 PM
T
Yes, use a medium bed thinset, easier to use when trying to keep stone even when setting.

Also, if you have a sample of the slate you might want to use, place it in a bucket of water for a couple of days, see if it starts to dissolve and leave residue in the water, if it does, that slate is cheap and wouldn't be a good choice in a wet area.

Old 08-23-05, 05:54 AM
J
Originally Posted by Tileman
Yes, use a medium bed thinset, easier to use when trying to keep stone even when setting.

Also, if you have a sample of the slate you might want to use, place it in a bucket of water for a couple of days, see if it starts to dissolve and leave residue in the water, if it does, that slate is cheap and wouldn't be a good choice in a wet area.
Thank you very much for the advice and direction TM.