Big Crack in Tile Floor

Old 08-24-05, 10:14 AM
Vermont
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Big Crack in Tile Floor

Our d.y.i tile kitchen floor was down for about 8 months when we heard a loud, sickening, crack. The floor is installed on the diagonal. The crack that developed runs parallel to the wal for approx 10 feet in a straight line across the tiles, and right in th emiddle of a high traffic area between the cabinets. It is a new house and the tile is installed under the cabinets and island.

The tile is installed in thinset over 3/4 plywood, screwed to a 3/4 plywood subfloor. Backerboard wasn't used on the advice of the local hd guy. (Bad advice I guess) The installation was done in high humidity in the summer. There is radiant heat under the subfloor and the crack happened in February. Maybe shrinkage of the plywood caused the crack? Spaces were left around the walls.

Anyway, the question is what to do now? If we can find more of the same tile should we take up the damaged ones (14 or 15) and reset new. Or is the subfloor not sufficient. Can the floor be salvaged or do we have to start over and re-do the whole kitchen? How do you remove the tile if that is what has to be done? What about the tile under the cabinets and island?

Really discouraged.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 03:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The floor is shot and shouldn't have been installed the way it was, installing over plywood is risky and you need two layers of it at that, to even consider it.

You will have to break them out up to the cabinets, not easy to do, they make toe kick saws with carbide and diamond blades for cutting close to them, this saw is dangerous to use, if you rent or buy one, hold on tight with 2 hands.

After you have the floor up, then we'll talk about what needs to be done, but you will be raising it with more plywood and a backerboard or a membrane.

Old 08-25-05, 09:46 AM
Vermont
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply, even if it was bad news. I'll get back later after the floor is up. Hope I don't ruin one of the cabinets with that saw while I'm at it (or myself for that matter)!

Old 08-25-05, 04:04 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Little secret, if you have toekicks, remove them and if using a hammer and chisle on and angle to get under there and the doors cover the frames of the cabs, remove the doors, just in case the hammer misses the chisle or the chisle rests on the edge of the doors while hitting it, any marks on the base frames won't be seen after the doors are put back on, have fun.

Old 08-26-05, 10:53 AM
Vermont
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the hints. Fun? You betcha!