seal and polish

Old 08-26-05, 08:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face seal and polish

New tile in entryway and kitchen and the job just finished. He repaired broken tile areas and replaced the grout in the dining/hall area. Only now do I discover the job did not include sealing the grout. Should we seal? Everything I've read says to seal, but he says no... it leads to more mildew problem because it doesn't allow moisture to evaporate. I also discovered that the grout color in the kitchen turns darker with water dropped on it..I hate that. Will sealant keep that darkening from happening? And, for any of the areas, what will the sealant actually do?

Also, how to polish the old tile. The new entrance way was done in order to remove old tile and recover some of those to replace broken tile in this area. Nicely done. But some of the replacement tile is nice and polished showing off the dullness/haziness of the overall floor. I presume those shiny tiles had some hand cleaning before being replaced but how do I get the whole floor to shine again? Years of regular mopping may keep it clean but somehow does not restore the shine. This tile is a brick shape pocelin glaze of the highest hardness rating.

How long does it take the grout to cure? It is a polyblend sanded grout.

Thanks

BJ & JC

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-05, 05:11 PM
T
Yes, seal it, todays sealers breath, use an impregnating one, it's normal to get dark when wet, it will still dry the original color, wait a week to seal after grouting.

I'm curious to know why the old tile here cracked.

What you see with glazed ceramic is what you get.

Old 08-27-05, 09:47 AM
J
Do not really know why the tile cracked and broke. One suggestion is that it lost it's "backing"....whatever it was laid with somehow was never quite right maybe it thinned out, disappeared, let loose. Tile is cracked and broken in other places most likely due to a teenager and skateboarding in the house (and he once admitted to the bicylce because a fall broke some knick knacks) The tileman said that the tiles were much too easy to remove, he has no idea what the original tile was laid with/ontop of. The original grout job was almost nonexistant..I lived with deep grooves between each tile for years. Frustrating to clean. Oh...and my subfloor is concrete.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what you see is what you get". I understand shading variances and that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to the >15 year old tile. If some of the pieces can have a like new shine, How can I get the remaining pieces shining instead of what looks like a dull haze next to the few with a like new shine. Remember, the shiny ones are not new, merely replaced from the same floor. I'll eventually ask my tile man, he hasn't been paid yet, but I haven't always agreed with him (as on his belief that you don't need to seal). So other opinions will help.

Old 08-27-05, 05:39 PM
T
What I mean is, what ever you have for a finish on the glazed tile, that's what you get, no making it shine or not shine, nothing should be put on them.

The glaze on the ones that don't shine have worn out, there's nothing you can do about it, there are PEI ratings for glazed tile, 1 to 5, 4 & 5 should be used for floors, last the longest without wearing out.