kitchen counter

Old 08-30-05, 04:13 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen counter

Hello Folks, I have, what I think is, some type of fake stone kitchen counters. It was full of knive marks and I was able to sand it nice and smooth. I also was able to cut with a skil saw and it cut beautifully, I'm not sure what it's made off, but, the dust smelled like some kind of plastic. They are white and 3/4 of an inch thick.

When I sanded them they lost the sheen/polish look. I'm also concerned that they might be pourous and maybe hold the dirt now. Does anyone know of a sealer that would be safe for the kitchen/food area?? I was thinking of Polyurethane, would there be any problem with the poly, I know they use it on bars????

Thanks for your help,, Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-05, 06:00 PM
Without knowing what the composition of the counter is I cant help you too much. The plastic smell when cutting leads me to believe it is an engineered stone like Silestone or similar, or maybe an agglomerate. Try the guys over at www.ntc-stone.com There are a lot of stone fabricators there who also work with the engineered stone and they may have more info on care and treatment. From what I read in their replies it sounds like you need a pro to refinish the top.

Old 08-30-05, 07:07 PM
F
Hey Bob, Thanks for the reply and link. I asked the guys over there and I'm waiting for a reply. Get website for stone!!! Thanks again. Eric