Ceramic tile over plywood

Old 08-31-05, 03:25 PM
Brad G
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile over plywood

Hi,

I am putting a bathroom in my basement; the dimensions are 6x9'. I have installed a subfloor using 2x3s spaced every 12" drilled into the concrete with tapcon screws over which I layed 2 5/8" sheets of exterior grade plywood (i.e. 1 1/4" total thickness). I have 13x13" ceramic tiles. Can I tile directly over the plywood? What product would you recommend - drying time is not a factor.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 08-31-05, 04:18 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't, use 1/4" backerboard over the plywood or a membrane, follow manufacturers instructions on installing either.

Old 09-02-05, 11:11 PM
T
Hi,

Tileman, I don't understand your answer. You must have meant that you DO recommend using backerboard over the plywood, or if not that, then a membrane....right?

Brad, It's never a good idea to install tile directly over plywood, but it's done that way all the time. (over a suspended floor I mean). I hope your basement is real dry because installing a subfloor over 'sleepers' as you did is NOT a recommended method. Lots of bad things might happen. If theres too much moisture, not only will you trap mold and mildew, but the plywood and the timbers may distort.

Jaz

Old 09-03-05, 06:07 AM
T
He asked if he can set tile over plywood, I said I wouldn't.

Guess it sounded wrong, you missed that little , after I wouldn't.

Old 09-05-05, 06:13 PM
T
Wink

You're right Tileman, my brain didn't pause long enough for the coma. I just read the words.

Anyway...why do people think they can build a wooden floor over a concrete floor below grade. Unless you' re high & dry, you 're looking for problems down the road.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: