Questions about kitchen tile

Old 09-01-05, 09:16 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about kitchen tile

I am tiling my kitchen countertops and backsplashes with 12 inch granite tiles. My question has to do with how high to go with the backsplash tiles. The kitchen is an 8 X 8 galley style [doorway in the south wall with cabinets and appliance running along the east and west walls. No window].

I am stumped about the 8 foot wall with the sink [the other wall is not an issue]. The upper cabinets are 30 inches tall under a 12 inch soffit so they come to about 16 inches above the lowers. The exception is the cabinet above the sink is only 15 inches tall so there is about 31 or 32 inches between counter and cabinet there. That section is 36 inches wide.

I could run one row of full 12 inch tiles [starting at the bottom] and then a row of about 4 inches above that leaving the rest of the opening over the sink as painted wall or I could tile the entire opening. Which would look better?

If I haven't given enough information or haven't been clear please feel free to ask follow up questions.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-05, 06:47 AM
I could run one row of full 12 inch tiles [starting at the bottom] and then a row of about 4 inches above that leaving the rest of the opening over the sink as painted wall or I could tile the entire opening. Which would look better?

As far as the look it is your call. Without seeing it I would go all the way up over the sink.

Old 09-02-05, 08:26 AM
O
Originally Posted by Tileguybob

As far as the look it is your call. Without seeing it I would go all the way up over the sink.
Thanks Bob. So far I have gotten that same advice from 3 people out of 3. That's what I'm doing. It just looks great! I always thought you had to use the smaller tiles for counters but saw this on one of the home improvement TV shows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: