How perfect does the thinset under the backer board have to be?

Old 09-13-05, 07:53 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
How perfect does the thinset under the backer board have to be?

This was my first time mixing the mortar, and I think it was too wet (thick pancake batter). The ridges started to melt down while I was putting the hardie backer down. After all was said and done, I found a small spot where there was a hair of flex in the board so I drove a couple of more screws in and it feels solid now. I have the plumber comming in to rough in everything tomorrow, and don't have the time to rip everything up and start again .

Is there any chance that this floor won't fail?

Old 09-13-05, 09:52 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you install the CBU on, you shouldn't feel any flex, thinset or not.

Old 09-13-05, 10:13 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
3/4 ply, then 1/2 ply. The subfloor is rock solid, there was just one point at the edge of the CBU in the 6 inch run between screws, if I pushed on the CBU, it would flex about 1/16" or less, to come in contact with the ply underneeth. I think there was a small void where the thinset was uneven.

Old 09-13-05, 10:23 AM
T
Sink another screw there, you should be fine, tape and thinset the joints with modified thinset while setting the tile.

Old 09-13-05, 10:29 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tileman! I had a bunch of thinset left, so I taped the joints already. I just noticed today that I should have waited on that step . I may just whip some more up and skim a layer over everything once the plumber is finished before I tile.

Thanks again for all of the help! I don't know how anyone can get through a project without this messege board.

Old 09-13-05, 10:34 AM
T
No need to skim, just do this while setting your tile, so you don't have any speed bumps to deal with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: