Bathtub surround peace of mind

Old 09-15-05, 12:30 PM
JPyne
Visiting Guest
Bathtub surround peace of mind

Ok, I have read your forum for several years as I have been remodeling my house. Love it! Thanks for all the advice that I've already taken. I had someone tile the bathtub surround in my bathroom and this is how it was done. I used green board over the vapor barrier on the studs that was there from before; I believe the homebuilder used thin strips of roof shingles. I then applied backer-board with thinset and screws, and then the installer applied the 6 inch tiles to the backer-board with thinset. The installer grouted the corners and the line between tile and tub. Obviously, the grout line next to the tub began to crack. I masked off above and below that line and used a grout and cement crack repair, silicone caulk to cover the cracking grout. After about one year, the caulk peeled up along the tub and allowed water to get back to the grout. I have now removed the old caulk and have cut/broken out the grout along that bottom line. Iím going to let it dry out with a heater for a few days (the water wicked up into the vertical grout lines about ľ inch) and then I will caulk the now appox. 1/8 Ė 1/4 inch gap between the tub and the bottom row of tile. I guess Iím looking for confirmation that what Iím doing/was done sounds ok. Thanks for any response, this is an amazingly helpful site.

Old 09-15-05, 03:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds fine, why the greenboard at all?, not needed behind the backerboard.

Old 09-15-05, 04:12 PM
JPyne
Visiting Guest
I put the green board up before the contractor got there. Just my lack of knowing any better I guess. It was a one piece fiberglass unit before and I removed that and put a tub with tile surround in. After I put the new tub in, I put the green board in, then had the tile contractor come. He just put the backer board over the top.

Thanks for the very quick response and for taking your time to answer these questions.

Thanks,

John Pyne

Old 09-16-05, 07:47 AM
Green board has been outlawed in some states as it is more water resistant then just gypsum sheetrock, but it is a food source for mold just the same.

Old 09-16-05, 08:38 AM
JPyne
Visiting Guest
I'm getting ready to tile the shower in the master bath. I will certainly not use green board behind the backer board in that application. Hopefully the thinset, backerboard, then thinset for the tiles, will keep the moisture off the green board. Actually, the walls are open stud in the master bath that I'm re-doing and I can see the backside of the green board in the other bathroom, it looks ok. Is there anything I could do, or apply from the backside that might help prevent any mold growth? Thanks

Old 09-16-05, 04:58 PM
T
Nope, leave it alone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: