Anyway to test a tile Job?

Old 09-16-05, 07:03 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
Anyway to test a tile Job?

Bathroom floor.

I think I was too stingy with putting down the modified thinset ... The guy at the tile store said that the half bag of thinset I had left should be enough to do a 40 sqft area, so I whipped it up and started laying tile. To get the coverage I needed, I was spreading it pretty thin. I also got to a point where my pattern didn't quite match up and I had to pull up a few tiles that had been setting for about an hour. Afte putting some more thin set down and re laying those, they were up a little higher (1/16") then the adjacent tiles. This may not be a big deal, but some of them are diagonal cut, and the cut edge no longer has a bevel.

1. Is there anyway for me to test this tile job out before I put all of my bathroom fixtures in? Should I jump up and down to see if the tiles will crack?

2. What should I do about the sharp edge where I have a height difference? Will the grout smooth it out? Should I buff it down?

Old 09-16-05, 05:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. NO

2. Get a tile rubbing stone and on edge, try and smooth it some.

What size tile is this and what size trowel did you use?

Old 09-16-05, 08:30 PM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
NO to a way to test, or NO don't jump on it I was kinda joking about the jumping part.

I used 1/4" square notch for some 12" ceramic, and a 6" porceline border. I think my real concern is this...I mixed the thinset real thin for the cement board, so then I over compensated and mixed it too thick for the tile. Consistancy with the mortar seems to be my downfall. When I was setting the tile and wiggling it to set into the mortar, it really didn't feel like the ridges were flatening out, plus when I was troweling, I felt like I was scraping along the floor alot. I think some of my tiles are pretty much sitting on top of ridges and not really set into the mortar. I guess I'm being overly cautious, but this is our only bathroom, and I don't want to run into serious problems down the road.

Old 09-17-05, 04:23 PM
LinT
Visiting Guest
i have always tested by tapping a broom stick and listening for hollow sounds. If its bad enough take up that peice and replace it.

Old 09-18-05, 12:47 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yup, that's the only test, hollow sound means bad coverage or loss of bond.

Jumping might make them all hollow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: