Tile Layout for Shower Surround

Old 09-22-05, 09:52 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Substrate for tile surround

I want to install marble tile in our shower surround and as a result there are no trim pieces so I have to fiugre this out. The walls are a current layer of green board and I'll be adding a 1/2" layer of cbu. Now the tricky part... there is an outside corner that I want to tile to and it is the intersection, covered by corner bead, of drywall and green board then cbu on top of the green board. What should I do to make the corner look neat (I plan on tiling right up to the corner), use drywall mud on the edge of the cbu to flatten it out, remove the corner bead and attact it to the cbu and drywall? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Damon

Last edited by Merlin; 09-26-05 at 09:37 AM. Reason: More accurate subject
Old 09-22-05, 07:36 PM
D
Lose the greenboard and replace it with 1/2" cement board.

Old 09-26-05, 08:14 AM
M
Substrate for tile surround

Ok. I have read a number of posts and books and can't get a good resolution to this.

This is the bathroom layout.

A = Drywall
B = Metal corner bead
C = Wet wall, green board
D = Green board
E = Green board that continues along the whole wall.

Q1) If I replace the greenboard with 1/2" cement board what do I do for the corner bead, should I replace it with a plasic corner bead?

Q2) Where the cement board meets the tub I take it I should run a bead of silicone caulk prior to tiling.

Q3) Where the cement board meets the ceiling what is recomended? The ceilings are textured and I didn't want to disturb the texture. Can I just set the drywall tape in new drywall mud on the concrete board?

Q4) For wall "E" I need to just cut the green board on a stud and tape and mud the joint. What type of mud should be used, regular drywall mud? Remember this joint will be outside the shower.

After all the cement board is up, taped (fiberglass), and mudded (thinset?)
Q5) Should I used one of the waterproof coatings that can be painted on? If so which?

Thanks

Old 09-26-05, 05:33 PM
T
Boy, you sure know how to confuse someone.

Let's start over, first, you install a vapor barrier over the studs in the wet areas, then 1/2" cementboard down to within an 1/8" from tub, over the lip is better, firring the studs may be a good idea to achieve this.

Now, if you plan on a waterproofing membrane, don't install a vapor barrier, one or the other, not both.

Where the CBU meets the ceiling, don't tape it if you are worried about the textured finish, just caulk that joint when done, as for all the other corners, inside and out, tape with backerboard tape and thinset if tiling over these joints, on outside corners, no corner beads, just fold the tape around and use thinset on the tiled side and joint compound where there will be paint or wall paper.

Old 09-26-05, 06:43 PM
M
Cool

Thanks.

Old 09-27-05, 04:22 PM
T
Your kidding, that's it?, I covered it all.

Old 09-27-05, 06:01 PM
M
After looking at this a bit more I have one concern. The current layer of green board is behind the lip of the tub and the layer of green board that I removed was over the lip thus firring out the stud sounds like a good solution. However Wall E continues past the tub so there will be a 1/2" difference where I join that wall with the backer board. Even though it's not ideal can I put the backer board over the greenboard and a water proof coating over that?

Old 09-28-05, 10:19 AM
M
What about using 2 1/2" layers of Hardibacker? But I still have the same problem of capping off the sides of the surround.

Old 09-28-05, 04:49 PM
T
I only fir out studs when I do a whole wall, so everything is even, but you WILL have to add a CBU over the greenboard or remove it.

As long as the CBU comes down to the lip and extends slightly out from it, that will also work, the tile will then overlap the lip, don't forget a vapor barrier.

Old 09-28-05, 06:42 PM
M
What if the CBU doesn't overlap the lip but the tile does?

If I do add a layer of CBU over the Green board what to you recommend I do to cap the edges... I'm using marble so there aren't any moldings.

Old 09-29-05, 06:10 PM
T
If this were my home or job, I would even everything out, the CBU should at least come down to the lip and extend somewhat out from it, so when tile is placed on it, the tile will come down to the tub and overlap the lip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: