does stain proof grout really work?

Old 09-23-05, 05:22 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does stain proof grout really work?

I saw a stain proof grout by Traffic master at Home Depot -- has anyone used it? Does it last as long as regular grout? And stay clean -- what if you ever have to remove it? Please help, anyone who has had experience with it. Thanks

Old 09-24-05, 06:35 AM
I have not used it and on other tile forums I have heard some general complaints about it. I cant remeber the specifics however. The consensus seems to be that the SpectraLoc Pro grout from Laticrete is a good one. It is sold at tile stores that carry the Laticrete line as well as Lowes. It is an epoxy based grout but very user friendly as long as you closely follow the directions. The next best thing would be to use a grout that can be mixed with latex additive rather than water as this improves the density and hardness of the grout as well as giving it more uniform color throughout. It's not stainproof but even blueberry or tomato sauce wont penetrate if you wipe it up quickly.

Old 09-24-05, 11:32 AM
D
We used the Trafficmaster stuff from Home Depot (at the home owners request). It was the worst grouting experience of my life. It was basically mastic with a little sand in it. I could only grout about three square feet before I had to wash. Then it shrunk as it dried to I ended up having to grout over it three times to get it to look good. (you can however grout over it without any problems)
Would I recommend it? NO! Not even to an enemy.
Follow Tileguybob's suggestions. In my experience epoxy grouts aren't as easy to work with. The grout mixed with additive would be the most DIY'er friendly in my opinion.
Later
Bryan

Old 09-24-05, 04:28 PM
R
Thanks for the warnings -- will look at the instructions for the epoxy to see if I am ready to try that, otherwise will go with the additive.

Old 09-24-05, 06:42 PM
D
Save the headache and use the additive.

Old 09-25-05, 12:59 PM
R
After reading more about using epoxy grout, I agree -- I will put a grout sealer on and live with any stains that might arise. Thanks for helping.

Old 09-25-05, 04:29 PM
T
Forget the pre-mixed stuff, it's garbage.

Unless you have worked with epoxy, just use a cementbased modified grout and seal it a week after grouting.

If you want epoxy, Spectrolock pro is user friendly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: