Faded tiles .. how to regain shine?

Old 09-25-05, 07:27 AM
chrisb
Visiting Guest
Faded tiles .. how to regain shine?

Hi,
We have some black tiles in the kitchen of our apartment. The previous tenants did not take good care of them and a lot of them are quite faded. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make them shine again? They look nice when they are wet ... but of course, that look goes away when they dry.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by chrisb; 09-26-05 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 09:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of tile are they? Ceramic? Vinyl? The type of tile determines the type of solution......

Old 10-02-05, 01:51 PM
chrisb
Visiting Guest
They are the countertop tile, not the floor, so they're not vinyl. They feel pretty smooth I'm guessing they are either ceramic or some kind of smoothed stone.

Old 10-02-05, 02:42 PM
T
If ceramic, forget it, if stone, they can be re-polished.

Old 10-02-05, 02:50 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ceramic tile has a kiln-fired glaze. Once worn away, the tiles will be dull and there is really nothing you can do to restore the glaze. Natural stone products should be maintained with products recommended for natural stone. They require sealing. There are also polishes available. Products can be found at stone retailers and on the internet.

Old 10-04-05, 05:22 PM
D
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't the tiles be mopped with something like "future" which adds a polish - or would this be too slippery when wet in a kitchen?
A note, however - would it damage the grout? and

depending on the size of your kitchen - you could create a painted mat, or put a throw rug over most of it to hide the dullness (even though I personally don't like rugs in the kitchen - too hard to keep clean - )

Just some ideas - : )

Blessings -
Debbie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: