proper surface to install tile

Old 09-26-05, 08:01 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper surface to install tile

greetings,

soon, I will be doing some work in my kitchen and on the list of projects is to replace the countertops and to tile the backsplash above the counters. Presently, the backsplash is laminate from counter to cabinet. I'm assuming that there is drywall behind this and my question is this...

Once I remove the laminate, what type of material should I install to adhere the tile to? I was thinking cement backer board. Are there any thickness requirements or anything to keep in mind?

Also, how difficult is it to lay tile on a backsplash? I've done a few floors before but never a backsplash. Layout is the hardest part, no?

Thanks for the advice

Old 09-26-05, 05:25 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First remove the laminate and see what damage you cause to whatever is behind it, then if it needs to be replaced, 1/2" drywall is fine.

Layout all depends on type of tile, size and any special patterns used, decos, etc, it's endless, take your time, pick out what you want, you should go to a good showroom, they will take the time to lay out what you like, so you can see what it will look like like before you set it and make any changes, come back when you know what you like, stone has to be set and sealed differently than ceramic.

Also going around outlets and switches can be tricky and longer screws are sometimes needed to replace the outlets due to thicker tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: