How much time to lay backerboard?

Old 09-27-05, 09:27 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much time to lay backerboard?

Okay.. I am working on putting in a new bathroom, and at the outset my goal was that the project would be complete with 2-3 weeks to spare before my son was born. He's still in the hospital, but may be coming home soon, and I'm at the point where I'm going to tile the floor and I only have smaller blocks of time available because he came into the world early, so I want to spend a lot of time visitting him in the hospital.

Anyway, at this point I have all of my backerboard cut and I'm ready to go through and spread mortar then screw the boards down. I have about 5 sheets worth to do at 3'x5', and my feeling is that it would be best to be able to do all of it in one work session.

About how long would this take doing this myself? I've laid backerboard and tile for a countertop, but I didn't pay too much attention to how long it was taking and it was a smaller area.

Old 09-27-05, 01:05 PM
T
How good are you?

Totally depends on you.... 5 sheets - maybe an hour.... for me to lay and screw into place... another hour to mix thinset, put fiberglass tape in place, and spread into the joints.

Then clean up - another 15 minutes.... before I go see my new kid....

Congratulations.....

Old 09-27-05, 04:26 PM
T
Screw down each sheet after setting in thinset, no need to tape and thinset the joints until you are tiling, use unmodified thinset under the boards and modified for the tile and taped seams.

2 hrs. at the most.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: