Removing vinyl tile before ceramic?

Old 09-29-05, 12:26 PM
HomeschoolMom
Visiting Guest
Removing vinyl tile before ceramic?

I know I should know this but here goes anyway. Why do we have to remove the vinyl tile(incredibly "well-stuck") that was installed 30 years ago(asbestos?) on concrete floor, before we install the ceramic tile.

Old 09-29-05, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read the "sticky" posted at the top of the page of all posts by Dave Taylor.

Old 09-30-05, 02:47 PM
HomeschoolMom
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. However, I did read the sticky from Dave Taylor, which is why I asked the question. It seemed to me that the points Dave mentioned mostly dealt with a wood subfloor. And the "vinyl" tile that we have from the 70's is nothing like vinyl sheet flooring. It is extremely hard and thin, about 1mm. So I thought maybe it would be safe to leave it down.

Old 09-30-05, 03:53 PM
T
The only way I would leave asbestos tile down over a slab is, by doing a full mud job over them, otherwise remove them or risk failure.

Old 10-04-05, 09:21 AM
HomeschoolMom
Visiting Guest
Is that what this tile is? Asbestos? Should I be concerned about that? It is the same stuff that is in our kitchen and dining room!

Old 10-06-05, 04:39 PM
T
I don't know what you have, but if they are 9" square tile and are very brittle and are put down with a black glue, they are probably Asbestos.

There are ways to remove them safely or have an abatement contractor do it, also there are local laws that will tell you how and if you can do it, everywhere is different.

Covering them is not a problem and is safe to leave them, sanding them or getting them airborne from the dust from them is where there will be a problem.

Old 10-07-05, 01:30 PM
S
Tileman, does all of the black glue have to come up before mortor and tile are put down? If so, how do I get the glue up? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: