travertine floor tile first time

Old 10-01-05, 10:47 AM
Pizzamananthony
Visiting Guest
Question travertine floor tile first time

First time tiling a floor. Pulled up the carpet, removed the glue, and filled in nail holes in the cement sub-floor. Ready to tile, but two questions first: Is it a better idea to snap chalk lines and work from center of room outward, or start from front door entry and work my way to other side of room? Second, I'm laying 12" by 12" travertine, should I use 1/4" spacers, or nudge them very close to each other or is this a matter of choice?

Old 10-01-05, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions first.

Is there any paint or sealer on the cement floor? If so it has to be removed to let the thinset properly bite and hold.
Any cracks in the cement slab? If so, please describe their length, width of the crack and if the crack is level on both sides.
What will you be finishing into if you start at the front door? Is it another doorway on a full wall or a bigger opening? How far from the front door do you want to stop, e.g. 10'2" or what? What is the actual dimension of your tile? Did the sales person say if this tile was "rectified"?

Old 10-03-05, 08:48 AM
Pizzamananthony
Visiting Guest
travertine first time

Tileguybob,

Responding to your questions, there is no paint or sealer on the floor. Cracks are very few in this floor. After close inspection I would say that the width of the cracks are less than 1-2 mm, and floor is level on either side. Length of cracks can be measured in inches. Also, some small holes in concrete were made when I removed carpet tacking. I patched and leveled w/ cement...Starting at the front door, I would finish into an entryway into the kitchen (no door). This entryway is same width as the front door entry. This is basically a 300 square foot rectangular living room w/entry to kitchen. I intend to lay the travertine in the whole room....The dimension of the tile is 12" by 12". I do not know if tile is "rectified". I guess I would have to find out what this means.

Thanks for your help Tileguybob

Old 10-03-05, 04:11 PM
T
Rectified means, all of the tile is cut the exact same size, so you can space them close together with a 1/16" joint if needed.

I would install a crack isolation membrane over all cracks in slabs.

Old 10-03-05, 06:30 PM
I agree with Tileman. The membrane will be good insurance for the floor. He has a web address that maybe he can post for a membrane that he uses a lot. I forgot to copy it last time I saw it.

If you can get a good size piece of tile over by the kitchen then you could start with full off of the front door. Just make sure you are square to the front door so the tile do not give a visual of running off to someone stepping through the front door. The size of the piece by the kitchen can be adjusted depending on how far into the opening you want to bring it. Try to balance the cuts that go to the left and right side walls unless one side is very visible and the other is under furniture.

Old 10-04-05, 01:04 AM
Pizzamananthony
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Tileguybob
I agree with Tileman. The membrane will be good insurance for the floor. He has a web address that maybe he can post for a membrane that he uses a lot. I forgot to copy it last time I saw it.

If you can get a good size piece of tile over by the kitchen then you could start with full off of the front door. Just make sure you are square to the front door so the tile do not give a visual of running off to someone stepping through the front door. The size of the piece by the kitchen can be adjusted depending on how far into the opening you want to bring it. Try to balance the cuts that go to the left and right side walls unless one side is very visible and the other is under furniture.
Tileman and Bob, Thanks for the advice and the explanation of "rectified". Yes, as it turns out, the tile is rectified. To the right and adjacent to the
front door is the wall, which I will want to have a full tile against if possible. The left wall will be covered with furnishings, so not as concerned with full to half tile against wall there. In any event I'll make sure to keep it square with respect to front so the sight line is maintained all the way to kitchen entrance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: