Water Damage floors Need Help !

Old 10-02-05, 11:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our ice maker line got a leak in it and got an area of a couple of floors wet. Our kitchen,dining room and living room is open with a 3/4 wall dividing the kitchen from living room. Where the refrig was is a ceramic tile floor and it backs up to a carpet floor and beside that is a wood floor in the dining room. The leak got on all the floors and went all the way to the level below which is just a crawspace. When looking at it from underneath the subfloors in an area of about 7x7 space got wet. The subfloor is made of particle board and one area you can see is bowed a little. I called the insurance and they are supposed to be out to my house Mon or Tues., the question I have is with the water getting on to the subfloor will it effect the main floor the tile the wood floor and the carpet and will the particle board subfloor rot or possible mold getting inbetween subfloor and main floor. There is a little mold coming from the seem of the subfloor looking up. How should I handle this? Thanks

Old 10-02-05, 02:55 PM
T
Are you SURE it's particle board and not OSB?

What subfloor is under the tiled section and is the bowed wood under the tile or both floors?

Old 10-02-05, 02:59 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Run a dehumidifier and fans to expedite drying. Once particleboard has gotten wet and swollen, you will not be able to restore it. Particleboard is constructed of sawdust and glue and is not a suitable substrate. Carpet should be pulled back and wet dry vacuum used to remove as much water as possible from carpet and cushion. Position fan in the area to expedite drying. Clean any areas that appear to be growing mold or mildew with bleach and water solution. Surfaces that remain wet 24-48 hours are subject to grow mold and mildew. Water trapped beneath hardwood flooring will likely cause it to cup or crown. Dehumidifier and fans can expedite drying and possibly prevent cupping and crowning. Give dehumidifier and fan time to dry out floors. If cupping and crowning does not disappear, floors can likely be sanded flat to correct the problem. Water trapped beneath ceramic tile can lift and loosen tiles. Run fans in crawl space to expedite drying. Treat any surfaces that have mold and mildew with bleach water solution. Check insulation to see if it is wet. Once wet, it loses its insulative qualities and may require replacement.

Old 10-02-05, 03:03 PM
T
All of the above also.

I would get someone in to tell you it all has to be redone and get it in writing, and give this to the insurance guy, this way maybe you'll be covered to get it all redone.

Old 10-02-05, 04:14 PM
S
I looked underneath and it is particle board from the bottom. I went to Lowes and talked to a guy and he showed me 2 different kinds of boards 1 was particle board and the other was plywood particle which is particle on one side and a thin layer of plywood on the other. He said neither should get wet and they loose there strength if they do. So it is on or the other. Also the water in certain places may have been there a day or 2 we started smelling a musty smell and could not find the source till we felt the wet carpet. It has been 36 hours and we stopped water leak suck up as much water as possible. The main question is should the flooring be replace or not? I guess like you said I maybe should have a contractor come out before insurance to see what they say. Thanks alot for the help.

Old 10-02-05, 05:05 PM
T
If it is trully particle board, it has to be replaced, once soaked like that it's shot, also, what other subflooring is there, can't be just particle board.

Old 10-02-05, 06:11 PM
S
I am not sure on the rooms with carpet and hardwood, but when I got tile put down it has luan under on top of the subfloor. This is the only room we have redone the floor since the house is only 12 years old. I think it is the wood with the thin layer of plywood and then particle at the bottom. Since you asked the question me and my wife both were here the day the tile was installed and it looked like plywood from the top but like I said in other post it looks like the particle wood chip board from underneath. So in the kitchen with tile there is atleast 2 layers of wood before the tile. Everything is dry from on top now except the carpet still a little damp. But since the water had gotton all the way thru all floors to the crawspace it has to be in between the 2 subfloors in the tile area and in between the subfloor and hardwood and the carpet and pad are still wet sitting on top of the subfloor. So I am not sure how they will tell if there is any damage. I took insulation down from underneath in the crawlspace and there was a little white mold on it and a hole for a pipe has white mold going up it. Thanks again atleast I am getting some ideas what to do.

Old 10-03-05, 08:58 AM
M
Here are some images to help carify the issue...

Fiber Board

OSB

Plywood

Keep in mind that your subfloor may be a combination of materials, e.g. under the carpet in my house the top layer is mdf and the the bottom layer is plywood. Under any other area it is two layers of plywood.

Old 10-04-05, 01:00 PM
S
Ok here is when I really need the help. Insurance came out and brought a contractor that can dry the floors out with blowers and put a dehumidifier in the rooms and he is also a building contractor. They pulled up the carpet and the floor it looks like the OSB board in the picture of the last post on both sides, but the contractor said it was chip board. The subfloor like I said has been there for 14 years. The floor were the carpet was has started to warp at the seems and has turned black and also has some flaking. The contractor said the boards under the carpet had to be replaced definitly. So I asked him what about the subfloor under the tile floor and wood floor since they were wet and had water coming up from underneath them into crawl space. He mentioned you could remove the tile and wood floor and replace subfloor but that would be alot of work and if it were him he would just replace wood under carpet and dry the other out. I even showed him in crawlspace that the subfloor was uneven at the seems were water was coming thru under tile and wood floor. Contractor and insurance say well unless it pops tile or wood floor it is nothing to worry about. Sub-Floors have been wet now for atleast 4-6 days. It seems to me that the contractor that came with insurance is trying to make the insurance company happy, not me. Is it being unrational to want to the floors underneath tile and wood replaced? I plan on staying at this house for years to come and want it done right. Not something I will regret down the road. I can send pics of the floor under the carpet if anyone would like. Thanks

Old 10-04-05, 01:20 PM

Since the insurance company seems to think you have coverage, ask them I they would be responsible for future replacement and health issues if the wood that was left in place deteriorated and possibly caused mold. The blackening indicates that you may have had mold and remaining spores (which you do not kill) could be reactivated. I suspect it will be very difficult to get the unexposed lumber truely dry.

The insurance company seems to be looking at a cosmetic repair.

This approach may eliminate a lot of quibbling and you could get everything made correct for a fresh start.

Dick

Old 10-04-05, 05:18 PM
M
And if they do agree, get it in writing (too bad there is no histerical laughing smiley)

Old 10-04-05, 06:37 PM
S
It has been about 12 hours since they came and put blowers and dehumidifier, one thing I forgot to say earlier is that they sprayed some kind of solution on the subfloor under the carpet on the carpet and on the wall were it was wet, it went up wall about 5 inches and in the crawlspace on the floor from underside. They said this was to clean mold and mildew or to prevent it from forming. Well the floor under the carpet, the black color is gone it may have been mildew or could have been just were it was very wet. There is now just a water stain. The subfloor under the carpet were it was wet is bubbled up in places and uneven. There is some mildew on the wall. The subfloor underneath don't look to bad but uneven at the seems. I guess I will see what they have to say Thursday when they come back and go from there. If they are so concerned about the mold and mildew by spraying the areas listed above how will you every get in between the subfloor and tile and hardwood.

Old 10-04-05, 07:17 PM

The spray was probably bleach or other material to kill the mold. You can kill the active mold, but it can come back if the spores (seeds) get wet and have food (cellulose - wood, sheet rock paper, any paper, ...etc.).

If they know there is mold and are confident they got it for the future, they should be willing to stand behind the clean-up and repairs.

Dick

Old 10-05-05, 08:47 PM
S
Sorry for so many questions but on one of the subfloors I found it marked sturd-i-floor exposure 1. If this changes anyones thoughts let me know, they are coming to pick up blowers and dehumidifer tomorrow and insurance person is coming later Thursday or Friday. The areas that got wet under tile floor, the seems are uneven and the part of the subfloor that was under carpet is bubbled up top but underneath looks fine. So depends on what side you look from. Seems like where the carpet was the subloor has enough pressure to bubble that subfloor from up top. But on tile floor not enough pressure so it expanded from below to make the seems uneven. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: