how to apply the tile border

Old 10-02-05, 08:44 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
how to apply the tile border

I need to install a “Tuscuno border” I purchased at HD. It’s just a regular 4” border strip that can be used as an accent above the tile. I will be using it as a backsplash above my granite top vanity. It consists of a number of small pieces of travertine and who knows what kind of tile on the mesh backing. I am using that because I could not find long enough pieces of granite that would match my vanity top.
How should I apply the border and what grouting technique should I use. Tiles in the border are pretty porous and in some places either naturally or intentionally etched with some caverns.
I am also wondering if I should seal my vanity top with some kind of impregnator or just mask around the edges where grout will be applied, so I don’t stain the granite where it’s not suppose to be stained.
Thanks a lot for all your help.

Old 10-03-05, 02:54 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it's stone, I would seal it first, then you can set it with modified thinset, then grout it and wipe clean, then wait a week and reseal, no need to mask off the granite, it won't stain, leave a 1/8" space between the wall tile and countertop and caulk this gap with a matching color.

Old 10-03-05, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the granite top was "resined" the sealing was done before it ever came into your home and will never need it again. Certain other granites dont need to be sealed either but to be sure you can do the lemon test if you have a sample piece of the granite. Dont use your countertop. Go to www.mbstone.com and scroll around for it.

Old 10-04-05, 07:17 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks a lot! Not sure if I can leave that 1/8 gap. Actually I can do that only on the back portion of the vanity, but not on the side. I had to leave a 3/8 gap on the side because of the baseboard plus side of the countertop it beveled where the back is not. So what do I do there on the side? have ~ 1/2" gap. Also, how do I set the tile and not "dirty" the stones in the border?

thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: