protecting grout

Old 10-03-05, 10:05 AM
franbistro
Visiting Guest
protecting grout

I have had a tile floor installed and now I need to treat the grout in order to protect it. What is the easiest way to do that as I am 70 and the knees don't work as well as the use to. It is difficult for me to get up once down. I know they have a spray finish but understand it is a health hazard.

Old 10-03-05, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Franbistro,
If you are just sealing just the grout apply the sealer with a small paint brush, and remove any sealer that accidentally gets on the tile.
A spray bottle seems like it would make a mess and not be acurate.
If you are sealing both the tile and grout, a foam roller works best .

If you have a steady hand, and good eyes,you could always extend the paint brush with a small pole and seal the grout lines by standing over them in a golf stance or maybe get a mechanic's creeper , sit on it and work from one end of the room to the other making sure not to cross over the already sealed grout. I have seen creepers designed for flooring, here's one from Sear's, you could possibly rent it. Sears creeper

Old 10-03-05, 01:20 PM
i'm wondering why the installers didn't do this sealing? wouldn't that be part of a complete job of installation? can you call them back to do it?

Old 10-03-05, 03:06 PM
D
Originally Posted by Annette
i'm wondering why the installers didn't do this sealing? wouldn't that be part of a complete job of installation? can you call them back to do it?

When the tile setters are done the grout has a few days dry time. You cannot seal grout while it is still wet.

I would call the tile dealer and ask what they would charge.

Yas the spray sealers are a hazard.

Old 10-03-05, 04:05 PM
T
Sealing grout is never included in the price for tiling and I hardly ever do it, UNLESS it's stone, then sealing is needed and does cost extra.

WARNING DO NOT EVER USE any sealer that comes in an aersol can, HD sells one called Stand and Seal, it has been recalled, then put back on the shelves, you can become VERY sick if it is inhalled.

Hope this thread isn't edited or banned for bashing this stuff, it is dangerous and shouldn't be sold or used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: