tiles on ceiling

Old 10-05-05, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tiles on ceiling

I am in remodeling a shower and want to convert it into shower/steam room. I will put 1/2" backer board on shower walls and ceiling then tile over them.

After reading over multiple tile related books, I couldn't find any info on technique of putting tiles on the ceiling. I believe the gravity will certainly make job more difficult. Any tricks or specail consideration I need to pay attention to while tiling on the ceiling? I plan to use 8x10 tiles on walls and want to use the same on the ceiling. Is it too heavy to put them on the ceiling? Any specail bounding material I neen consider with?

Thank you very much for any advice you may provide,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 04:34 PM
Not a problem, if these 8x10s are just the usual thin wall tile, just use modified thinset, backbutter the tile with the flat side of the trowel and use the notched side on the ceiling, push them in good, they will stay, if you hear a suction sound after setting them, RUN.

Also, if you didn't know, the celing should be pitched so water droplets don't stay there from the steam and drip cold on you.

And, the entire area has to be waterproofed with a membrane, paint on one is fine, one that is made for tiling, it's a must for steam showers and no barrier behind the cementboard for this.

Old 10-06-05, 04:45 PM
Hi, tileman,

Thanks for the tip. I don't understand the last sentence that you said. Do you mean "no barrier behind the cementboard" that for shower walls and ceiling?

Old 10-06-05, 04:52 PM
Yes, normally you use a vapor barrier behind backerboards, but if you are waterproofing the face of the boards with a membrane, you don't want a barrier behind it, moisture will get trapped between the 2, it's one or the other and steam showers should be waterproofed.

Old 10-07-05, 11:43 AM
The plan that I am going to do is to use backerboard as three shower walls with barrier behind the backer, then cover the tiles on top of the backer. These are all new walls.

In term of ceiling, I am not going to replace it. Instead, I am going to add an extra ceiling. I am going to put a 2x4 frame (may need slope a bit as you mentioned) over the existing ceiling (which is not waterproof), then cover the frame with barrier, backerboard and tiles. Do you think if it is ok with above steps?

Did you mean put membrane on the existing ceiling in your previous mail? I don't know anything about this "membrane". Would you please elaborate on this? Is it easier to do compare with adding an extra layer of ceiling as I said above?

I am really appreciate your advice.

Old 10-08-05, 12:25 AM
He's talking about a membrane that gets applied to the cement boards after you put them in. There are a few versions of this membrane that you can just paint on with a roller or trowel on. I personsally use a product called 'Redgaurd' by Customs, but there are other similar products out there. I'm not sure if your local big box building supply will have them, you may have to go to a tile wholesaler. Like he said, don't use a vapor barrier behind if you are going to apply the membrane.

Another point I'd like to add, is that the pitch to your ceiling needs to be a lot, standard practice calls for a 2 inch per foot slope so you don't get cold water dripping an you, but I've seen some jobs with as little as 1 inch per foot work, if the tile does't have a lot of texture to it. Good luck.

Old 10-13-05, 02:36 PM
Thanks Square 1 for clarification on the membrane. I

In term of piching, I may just leave it flat - no slope at all, after reading one of the thread here. As his experience, he have not got any condensing water drop from the ceiling until using the steam shower for 10 or 20 min. This the duration we will use in this shower.

Now I have one more question on the backerboard. As I said I plan to add an extra ceiling that is waterproof, I add a 2x4 on under the existing ceiling, then barrier and backerboard. There will a 90 degree corner of backerboard since the ceiling of shower won't be even with the rest of room. I will cover this 90 degree corner with tiles. How do I make the corner smooth enough to let tiles cover it perfectly? The tiles that I am using do not have round or corner pieces. I can only use bull nose tiles instead. Any advice will be very appreciated.

Old 10-13-05, 05:11 PM
You can go with one of these or back cut miter them, in other words, miter them without cutting all the way to the finished edge, this way they will fit closer together without a sharp edge, tricky to do, but works if done correctly.

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...section-b.html