Tiling Method - What is right way?

Old 10-12-05, 08:37 AM
NewCustomer
Visiting Guest
Tiling Method - What is right way?

Greetings,

Very nervous here with a 1st time experience dealing with a tile installer for kitchen/bath/adjoining hall setup and need quick advice.

I've spent hours reading how to sites and realize the curing procees should be 24 hours before grout is laid down and more hours for grout to dry before placing appliances back and walking on it.

My problem is the installer makes it sound like he is going to simply scoot the appliances out a bit (to make room for installing under appliances/toilet area for instance) then put the appliances back.... all in the same day!

He still has to do the tear out.

Thank you!

Old 10-12-05, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NewCustomer,

That is not the way it is done -1 Day!!?? Make some calls to local tiling companies and they will explain this to you.

Hope this was fast enough!

Old 10-12-05, 08:49 AM
NewCustomer
Visiting Guest
Thank you, yes. The installer is due in 1/2 an hour and I planned on questioning him extensively on this. I'm glad I found this forum and it is active. I'm PST so businesses are not open quite yet.

Many thanks!

Old 10-12-05, 09:18 AM
NewCustomer
Visiting Guest
Doug or other reader/advisor,

After talking to the installer, clarifying what his install intentions were....

he would place tiles after all the tear out and prep work and then if time allowed, approx 7 hours later, place grout only in the areas under appliances so that I would not be "inconvenienced'. Then come back tomorrow after the 24 hours to grout the open spaces.

Does this make sense?

Thank you again.

Old 10-12-05, 09:59 AM
NewCustomer,

I fear that this is not enough time to really allow for the tile to set and handle the weight. I would suggest being inconvenienced for a day at least if not 2.

Tile man must be busy to try and rush this.

Your call - hope it is the right one.

Good Luck!

Old 10-12-05, 12:18 PM
T
He still would have to wait 24hrs. to walk on the areas to be grouted, 7 ISN'T enough time.

Rule of thumb is, 24hrs. after setting tile to grout, sometimes longer if porcelain is used, 72hrs. after grouting for heavy objects being moved over the floor.

You CAN install the toilet right away after grouting, I always grout where the toilet goes first, install it, then continue to grout the rest of the room, this way if the tile is big enough to walk on without stepping on grout joints, you can use the toilet if it's the only one in the home.

You don't want him to grout twice if at all possible, what's the big deal in grouting 24hrs later?, is the stove and dishwasher staying while he preps this floor?, the fridge should always be moved out of the room and put back 3 days after grouting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: