Cementboard vs. wire mesh/thinset

Old 10-13-05, 09:27 AM
razooki
Visiting Guest
Cementboard vs. wire mesh/thinset

I need to re-tile a small area (5'x6'). The old tiles were layed on a thinset/wire mesh combo but I am wondering if I can use cementboard instead. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other.

Thanks,

Raz

Old 10-13-05, 12:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do have for a subfloor?

Forget the wire mesh and thinset, that's a scratch coat or Jersey mud job, high failure rate.

Unless it was a 1 1/4" mud bed, was it?

Old 10-13-05, 01:10 PM
razooki
Visiting Guest
All I know is that it's plywood but I can't tell you how thick it is. I removed the tiles from the kitchen and and hallway and they were set on the scratch coat. I'm replacing the tiles with strip flooring except for the entrance where I would like to do tiles.

Old 10-13-05, 01:15 PM
T
If solid and assuming this floor meets specs for tile, Yes, install 1/4" backerboard, it get's installed over thinset.

Old 10-13-05, 01:28 PM
razooki
Visiting Guest
Thanks alot for the fast reply.

Old 10-14-05, 02:34 PM
mrmcjay
Visiting Guest
Can you skip the backerboard and double up plywood for stregth. I have a lot of un-returnable plywood and was planning on this. The floor is going to doubled up on ply sits on 2x6 12" on center directly on top of a concrete slab. I'm using premixed mortar so it's not as soupy. Is backerboard necessary?

Old 10-14-05, 08:28 PM
That premixed stuff is garbage. Dont waste your time or money on it. Get a good modified thinset that comes in a bag and you mix with water.
If the floor is built as you say and sits on a slab go with one layer of 3/4" ply, BCX grade, NO CDX allowed on a floor- it has only a sheathing rating not an underlayment rating and can cause problems. Cap it with a 1/4" cement board set in thinset and anchored with backerboard screws or galvanized roofing nails.
To answer your question, an additional layer of ply would strengthen the floor but I dont see where it is needed other than for your own piece of mind. Bonding directly to the plywood (BCX) would require a special thinset rated for plywood and can be tricky to correctly accomplish.

Old 10-23-05, 02:20 PM
larry rutherfor
Visiting Guest
What is the problem with the wire mesh. I am in the middle of a project, adding to new tile. There is not enough room for board. There is a bleu plastic mesh under the exhisting floor. I am adding 120 sq feet of 18 inch tile. Wire was the only sub board I could find. How much trouble will I be in if I use the wire or is this your personall opinion? I realize that the best option is to tear out all the tile and replace with good sub board-- not an option.

Old 10-23-05, 05:45 PM
T
Stick to one thread, easier to keep track of you.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=237476

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: