installing backerboard

Old 10-13-05, 01:41 PM
tileman2
Visiting Guest
installing backerboard

Hello,I am remodeling my bathroom and am getting ready to install hardiboard around the new tub.I noticed that some of the studs are not flush against the tub flange.My question is do I bring the board over the tub flange ( which will cause it to bow out) or do I bring the board to the top of the tub flange and caulk inbetween , then bring the tile down 3/4 of an inch and caulk to the rim of the tub? Thanks

Old 10-13-05, 03:32 PM
alanstanwyck1
Visiting Guest
Thats a good question! Help somebody!!

I would like to know the answer to that as well because I will probably be facing the same problem.

Alan

Old 10-15-05, 01:31 PM
ajmctree
Visiting Guest
Saw This On Tv

I was just watching a program on HGTV and they were installing concrete board and it was said to go to the top of flange then thinset the area between the top of tub to bottom of concrete board. After that they put on a impervious membrane over it all then they put down thinset again and applied the tiles .
I haven't done this yet but will be in the next couple of weeks going to do a full bathrom renovation.

Hope this helps

AJMCTREE

Old 10-18-05, 09:01 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We've always shimmed out the studs as necessary so the durarock will extend over the tub nailing flange, but I personally leave a 1/4" gap between top of tub ledge and bottom of durarock, then use some good silicone to fill that void.

Then when we tile I leave a 1/8" gap between bottom of tile and top of tub ledge and silicone that when it's all said and done. Got a double water barrier there that should hopefully never need to be used and it allows so movement without transfering the laod into the tile and chancing grout cracks.

Just what we do, other may do it differently. Construction has sooo many ways to skin a cat-same end result, different ways to get there is all.

Old 10-18-05, 05:52 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What IHI said, fir the studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: