Thoughts on tile quality?

Old 10-15-05, 05:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on tile quality?

I'm planning to tile my fireplace surround and hearth, and I was going to use natural slate tiles that Lowe's carries. They're 6x6 and around $4 a sq. ft. Anyone familiar with the quality? Daltile has a nice multicolored slate, but it's about $8 a sq ft. Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"? Am I asking for trouble by getting the less expensive tile, especially since I'm a first time tiler?

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-15-05, 10:22 PM
For where you are using it you can go with the cheaper variety. Eveness is not as big of an issue since you wont be walking on them.

Old 10-16-05, 06:41 AM
M
I'm not too concerned with the eveness - I'm more worried about whether it will be a nightmare to work with. In scouring various home improvement boards I've read that the slate purchased from Lowe's or HD can "turn to mud" on the wet saw because the quality is not first-rate.

Originally Posted by Tileguybob
For where you are using it you can go with the cheaper variety. Eveness is not as big of an issue since you wont be walking on them.

Old 10-16-05, 06:47 AM
M
One more question...

My surround is presently composed of concrete block - do I need to apply any sort of backerboard or leveling compound before tiling? The mason who constructed the surround seemed to think it was good to go, but I was watching HGTV yesterday and saw that they applied what I guess was self-leveling stuff before tiling (they were using ceramic tile).

Many thanks for the advice!

Old 10-16-05, 07:25 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If surface is not 'flat,' you will need to make it so by using a self-leveling compound.

Old 10-16-05, 05:33 PM
T
SLCs are used on floors not walls, this is a wall correct?, is it painted?, if so, the paint has to go, then skim coat smooth with modified thinset.

Old 10-17-05, 06:03 AM
M
Well, the surround is a vertical surface, the hearth is horizontal. The surround is basically bare, just concrete block. It's level, and I guess the skim coat will smooth out any little bumps... Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tileman
SLCs are used on floors not walls, this is a wall correct?, is it painted?, if so, the paint has to go, then skim coat smooth with modified thinset.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: