Why is my grout different shades of color?

Old 10-17-05, 06:23 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Why is my grout different shades of color?

I recently laid tile and grouted 4 days after laying it. I have used sand colored Polyblend Sanded Grout. I have been curing the grout by misting it with water from a squirt bottle. I have done this 3 times in the last 2 days. I plan on sealing the grout next. My question is why the color of the grout is not consistant. For the most part, the grout color looks great but in areas it is really light colored. Any thoughts? Could the dust from wiping the tiles off while the grout was still wet cause this? I did wait 2 hour before doing this as the Polyblend directions said... I would rather not dig out those areas of grout and do it over. Will the sealer make any difference on the final color of the grout?

Old 10-18-05, 06:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, the sealer won't help, it might darken it some, but the light areas will darken and the dark areas get even darker, there are many reasons for this, the most likely is too much water in clean-up, in any case, wait a week, then if still bad, try some Sulfamic acid crystals, sold at HD, follow the directions, if still bad, use a grout colorant, they are made to match every major brand of grout out there, Aquamix is a good one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: