Help removing cracked patio tiles

Old 10-15-05, 10:23 AM
Cusamano
Visiting Guest
Red face Help removing cracked patio tiles

Would someone please advise the correct/best tools to remove the grout from between cracked/damaged tiles & then lift the damaged ones out. Our patio tiles are set in hard mortar on a concrete slab & everytime I try to remove one it will chip off part of the adjoining tiles. There is very little grout space between them & it is proving tricky despite my careful efforts.
Thanks!
Sandi

Old 10-19-05, 04:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cusamano,

First try and remove as much of the grout as possible. Depending on the gap width, a small chisel or even a large nail can be used. Tap gently to avoid ruining the adjacent tiles that are to remain. If you cannot get as much as you can out, then procede to the below suggestion.

Easiest way I know of is to drill a hole in the center of the tile. A carbide drill bit works great, like a 3/8” bit. You can drill holes around the first one and then use a chisel in between the holes to break pcs. Out. Once you have more room, place chisel at angle and start to tap gently with hammer to break tile free of the mortar or adhesive. If this was more than one tile removal, the remaining tile pieces by scraping or chiseling them out.

Please wear safety goggles.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-20-05, 04:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try to dig out the grout about 2/3 down around the 4 sides of each bad tile. A hand held grout saw, $5 at HD, is tedious but sometimes that is the best tool to use. Like Doug said, work from the middle of the tile out to the edges when removing it so you dont ding the edge of a good neighboring tile. Do you feel it is real grout or could it be the mortar used as grout?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: