Slate Tile

Old 10-23-05, 06:54 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slate Tile

Have ordered 280 sq. feet of 6" X 6" natural slate tile. What we have is an old home with 2 x 12 floor (creosote) joists on 16 inch centers. There are two rooms to be done with two different situations because one room was a back porch at one time. The kitchen has 1 x 6 x 3/4 material run on a diagonal with 1 x 4 T&G pine over that. I assume that a 1/2 backer board is fine for this area.

My real question is.....The area that was back porch at one time has no 3/4 under layer, just 3/4 T&G pine over the floor joists which are also on 16" centers. Will 1/2" backer board over the 3/4 T&G be enough to keep this area from cracking? I plan to thin set and screw the backer board.

Thanks in advance,
networker

Last edited by networker; 10-23-05 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 05:43 PM
T
If the pine is a hardwood finished floor, remove it, also backerboards need to be placed over plywood, not plank flooring, the planks can stay, just add 1/2" ext. grade AC or BC grade plywood over it first.

Old 10-30-05, 07:06 AM
N
Thanks for the reply Tileman. I didn't see your reply until this morning because it was below some kind of ads.

Ok, thats what I was afraid of on this deal. I know you hear it all the time, its going to cause the new floor to be some 1.5 inches or more above the joining rooms carpet. Assuming I take out the T&G, put in two 5/8 layers of plywood I still come up with 1.5 + inches too much height.

If I take out the T&G what is the least thick way to do this right? I see that Lowes has 1/4 inch backerboard. Is that an option in some way? Is one 5/8 layer of ply over the joists with 1/2 backerboard OK?

Wow, if I had known before I bought 1200.00 worth of slate I may have just gone with new vinyl flooring

Thanks again for your time!

networker

Old 10-30-05, 08:12 AM
There is a company called carpetshims.com that may have what you want to bring the rug up to level with the tile.

Old 03-17-07, 07:42 PM
D
slate flooring

I was told that I need to seal the slate before installing, if so what do I need to do first if anything.

Old 03-17-07, 09:33 PM
You can seal them after they are installed but before they get grouted. Give the slate a good sponge bath, they usually have a lot of dust on them, so much so that after a good cleaning the gray look will turn to red or green. Seal again after the grouting is complete and the grout has cured, usually about a week.

Old 03-18-07, 08:31 AM
D
slate question

Do you mean wash them down before installing, because I read somewhere that the slate needs sponging down before laying down on the thinset. You stated in your posting, I have to seal before I grout, is that correct. Do I grout again, after grouting.

Old 03-18-07, 09:51 AM
S
Just an FYI, a CBU (cementious board) does not offer any rigidity or structural strength, so your subfloor needs to be sound before the cement board goes down. This can often be an issue when transitional heights from room to room or flooring to flooring comes into play.

As for the slate goes, wipe / clean the slate and then thin-set it down. Real natural slate is very porous and you should seal the slate with a good quality impregnator / sealer before you grout. It will make cleaning off the grout much easier. Also grouts can possibly stain unsealed slate.

FWIW - I absolutely love real, natural stone, especially slate. I use un-gauged and gauged slate in portions of my home. Looks great!