Tile over terrazzo

Old 10-25-05, 07:25 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Smile Tile over terrazzo

My daughters cat has decided to use my hallway as his new litterbox. Therefore, I have decided to take up the carpet in that small area and tile both the hallway and the bathroom off the hall. I think I can tile directly over the terrazzo, right? Does it need any prep other than being clean? It was kept waxed before the carpet was put down.
What kind of tile do I put there? Is it just a matter choice? Should both the hall and the bathroom have the same tile since they open up to each other?
What about that metal strip thing that goes between the carpeted area and the tile? How do I get that screwed into the terrazzo? Or is there something else I can use to ease from carpeting to the tile?

On a scale of 1 to 10 . . . . where do you rate the difficulty of laying a bathroom tile floor?

Old 10-27-05, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The terrazzo needs to be stripped of all waxes and sealers, then flushed clean or worked over with a grinding machine so no stripper residue remains on the terrazzo. Use an unmodified thinset that gets mixed with a latex additive for setting the tile. Laying the full tile will be fairly easy, the cuts may be more of a problem without the right tools like a wet saw and a right angle grinder with a continuous rim diamond blade. Depending on the size of the room mixing by hand can be taxing so a mixing drill and paddle might be in order. Trowels, sponge and buckets are also needed.

Old 10-28-05, 02:10 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Going for it

Thanks Tileguy,

I figured that I'd have to go the route of renting a tile saw. Was hoping not to have to strip the terrazzo. But still sounds manageable. Thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: