Plywood versus Partical Board

Old 10-28-05, 12:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plywood versus Partical Board

What are the differences in plywood and particle board in regards to strength and durability and most importantly movement? I have always been under the impression that plywood is a stronger subfloor but is that just an old school way of thinking, or is that still the case with homes being built today? I am having a house built and will be doing some tiling (18" travertine) after closing and was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to pull up 3/4" particle board and replace it with 3/4" plywood (and then the 1/2' ply, thinset, backerboard, etc) or if I can just start with the particle board and work up? Thanks in advance...

Old 10-28-05, 09:56 PM
B
Personally, I won't put tile over particle board. The stuff gets wet, swells up and tiles start to crack.

Old 11-04-05, 12:27 PM
J
Originally Posted by bigmtk
Personally, I won't put tile over particle board. The stuff gets wet, swells up and tiles start to crack.
Not directly over particle board, or at all? Meaning if I added the standard 1/2" ply over the 3/4" particle, then thinset, backerboard, thinset, tile...you still would stay away from it?...

Old 11-05-05, 09:43 AM
T
I'm going to bet you might be seeing what you call particle board is really OSB. Big difference. OSB is suitable as a subfloor for tile and stone, providing it is no the bonding layer and you use a backer board or membrane. Since you are still in the building stage, get with you GC or Architect and make sure they know what areas are to get stone. You need your joists to be at L/720 for stone. Code only calls for L/360 and unless specified, your structure will not be designed for stone. Do it now before it gets too far along. And by the way, you will need a second layer of plywood over the osb then your backer or membrane for a stone install.

Old 11-06-05, 05:38 PM
J
Originally Posted by Tilebri
I'm going to bet you might be seeing what you call particle board is really OSB. Big difference. OSB is suitable as a subfloor for tile and stone, providing it is no the bonding layer and you use a backer board or membrane. Since you are still in the building stage, get with you GC or Architect and make sure they know what areas are to get stone. You need your joists to be at L/720 for stone. Code only calls for L/360 and unless specified, your structure will not be designed for stone. Do it now before it gets too far along. And by the way, you will need a second layer of plywood over the osb then your backer or membrane for a stone install.
You are 100% correct, it is "oriented stran board." Thanks for pointing that out. In my head I was a bit surprised that this particular builder would be using particle board. I am going to check to find out the specs on the joists... Thanks Tilebri...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: