Marble tile in entry

Old 10-30-05, 09:27 PM
jay3
Visiting Guest
Marble tile in entry

I am going to lay marble tile in an 8' x 4' entry way of my house. I have read alot of information on how to do this, but have a few questions yet. The carpet that will be adjescent the tile was laid over the previous low pile carpet. This will leave the tile sitting below the level of the carpet. The tile will be laid on a concrete slab. the concrete slab has a thin crack running the length of one side of the area, and there are 1/4" chips out of the slab where the previous tack strips were installed. My plan is as follows:
1. Thin set
2. 1/4" hardibacker board
3. lay tile with marbiflex
4. seal with high gloss sealer/finisher
5. Grout
6. seal grout with high gloss sealer/finisher

Does this sound right?
Will I need to use a membrane over the crack in the slab, or will the underlaying of backerboard prevent the crack from transfering to the tile?
Is a sealer/finisher combo. o.K.?
Any tips appreciatied as this is the first time I am attempting to lay real stone.
Thanks, Jay

Old 10-31-05, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You cant use any cement board over a cement slab, they are made for wood subfloor systems. Address that crack with crack isolation membrane then set the tile using a high grade white colored modified thinset. I would contact someone at www.marblecleaning.net to see if a sealer is even needed first before buying any. Make sure you know the name of the marble. There are many types with different geologic components and what may work on one may ruin another.
Take a look at Schluter.com for some edge profile pieces that may work in transitioning the height issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: