Drilling through terrazzo

Old 10-31-05, 02:51 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Drilling through terrazzo

I need to put something down where my carpeted floor and terrazzo floor meet. Will a concrete drill bit work to get the holes drilled in the terrazzo to attach the aluminum plate thing? Do I need a special kind of bit?

Old 10-31-05, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A masonary bit should do the job for you. Let the bit do the cutting and put your drill on low speed. But a couple bits if you're doing a lot of drilling, just in case you burn one out.

Old 10-31-05, 03:18 PM
Keep a spray bottle of water handy to keep the drill bit wet as it works into the terrazzo. And go S-L-O-W. It will easily take a few minutes per hole.

Old 11-01-05, 02:24 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So that's where the problem is

When trying to go through concrete before, I've always been in a hurry and put my drill on high speed AND pressed down on it. Guess that was the totally wrong way. Well, maybe this time it won't be so hard if I go in with patience and a dozen or so bits. I will also keep in mind about keeping the drill bit wet. (How come? - what's the reason for that? heat?)
Thanks so much for your help. Guess I can stop putting the job off now.

Old 11-01-05, 03:53 PM
Correct-o-mundo!! The heat will damage the bit to the point of being useless and the tile will also heat up, possibly cracking. For a better explanation try looking at www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com . They obviously sell diamond bits but at least they entertain you with logic while digging their hands into your wallet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: