Tiling over terazzo?

Old 11-03-05, 12:16 PM
jerryjerry
Visiting Guest
Tiling over terazzo?

Hi,

I have around 900sqft of terrazzo floor I'm going to tile over. The terrazzo was previously finished by sanding back with a floor sander and using the RoVal range of acrylic floor finishes. Can I use modified thinset on the acrylic direct or have I got to strip the finish first?

If I have to strip it how would I do that? I've tried test patches and it's pretty resilient to Muratic acid - pool strength, Acetone does gell it a little but its really messy and alkaline strippers I have don't seem to touch it? Mechanically I guess I could go get a floor sander again but I'd like to keep the dust down if possible..

Just in case anyone is offended by tiling terrazzo I spent days at the wifes request removing the old tile to refinish the original terrazzo, unfortunately over time theres been too many holes drilled in it, huge stains from under layment glue and gaping holes from tack strips ripped up.

Thanks!

jerry

Old 11-03-05, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That sealer and wax coating has to be removed, best by grinding. I did 1200 sq ft of tile over terrazzo last month. The owner had it ground down for me. Used an unmodified thinset that I mixed with latex additive to bond the tiles.
Keep the floor clean of any dust as you go about setting tile.

Old 11-05-05, 09:53 AM
jerryjerry
Visiting Guest
Bob, thanks for your reply.. Local tile store where I've bought my tile tells that sulfamic acid would remove the acrylic and sufficiently etch the surface before using thinset? The floor buffer /abrasive pads only cut back the surface finish bu that the finish soaked in below the surface that isn't ground will cause bonding problems? What's your view? is Sulfamic acid ok to use as a diy? It would be way cheaper than hiring a floor machine and the cost of the sanding disks..

Thanks for the tip on thinset and adding modifier..

Old 11-05-05, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont know if the Sulfamic will remove the sealer and wax. I do know that there are special strippers for removing that sealer and can be had at many janitorial supply houses. Try linking over to www.ntma.com and see what they have to say

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: