Ceramic Tile Over Concrete - Need Help

Old 11-04-05, 04:11 PM
iwstamp
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Ceramic Tile Over Concrete - Need Help

Okay a little history - my lower level family room (basement) flooded recently and 250 sq ft. of carpet was ruined. The basment is not wet - my gutters failed and water poured in under the walk-out door. I plan to install ceramic tile - I've done many times in the past in other parts of the house. There is a 4x4 area with tile in the basement that is still there (by a contaractor) and it sits on 1/2 inch backerboard (nice and sturdy - no water damage). To retain the same level - I purchased 1/2 Hardibacker as an underlayment. I am having a difficult time securing the hardibacker to my concrete floor. I know that this is not the "approved" method but unless I rip up the existing backerboard and tile - I will have an unsightly drop between old and new tile. The floor is level and dry (latest flood not withstanding). I have tried concrete screws (pre-drilled holes) and am now considering a concrete nailer. Should I return the hardibacker and go a different way?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-05-05, 08:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contractor goofed, no backer is required over concrete. Rip out the 4x4 section, return any undamaged backer and tile directly on the slab.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: