uneven discoloration of granite tiles due to moisture?

Old 11-05-05, 07:41 PM
Giruto
Visiting Guest
uneven discoloration of granite tiles due to moisture?

We just installed polished granite tiles in the bathroom 12x12 and i noticed that the tiles absorbs water on the non polished side. After installing it i noticed that the the tiles has unseven discoloration, is it due to the moisture of the thins set? will it retain its normal color when it dries? im a little worried. hope someone knows>

Old 11-06-05, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as you used a white colored premium modified thinset you will be ok in about a week or so. The moisture will ry out and the tiles will return to their natural state.

Old 11-06-05, 12:46 PM
Giruto
Visiting Guest
thanks a lot.....do i need to reseal the tiles to ensure that water wont penetrate? if so, what kind of sealer do i need to use for granite tiles.

Old 11-06-05, 02:12 PM
Giruto
Visiting Guest
another thing that i noticed is that when i drop water in the tiles it leaves a dark color mark on the tiles and disappers after a while. Does it mean that i need to reseal it? if so, waht kind of sealer do i need. thanks again.

Old 11-06-05, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I always advocate using the best products that I am aware of, based on use and personal knowledge. So I would say to go with AquaMix Sealers Choice Gold 15. It is not a topical sealer, but rather an empregnating one so you may still see a surface water mark thar will go away quickly. Miracle Sealant and Stone Tech Pro also do a very nice job

Old 11-07-05, 07:21 AM
Unclejemima
Visiting Guest
Guys, Granite is a natural stone, ALL natural stone is porous, meaning it will abosorb liquids. Even $20,000 granite countertop's need sealing, same thing except you have 12x12 granite tiles. I dont know how these places can sell granite to people , and not know to even recommend a sealer!!! You could actually damage your granite (acid etch) with some harsh cleaners or beauty products/chemicals (especially in a bathroom)

Go out to your nearest QUALITY tile store, and purchase a bottle of StoneTech(now a division of DuPont) Impregnator Pro Sealer, a pint will probably last you quite a while, being that granite is not as porous as some natural stone's (such as slate), and also get yourself a bottle of StoneTech All Purpose Stone and Tile cleaner. This will insure that your granite does not penetrate with anything (even water), and the cleaner will not deteriorate your sealer or build up a film like most household cleaners will (plus the risk of etching your stone)

Best of luck and God Bless,
-mark

Old 11-07-05, 05:53 PM
Giruto
Visiting Guest
do i need to seal the granite tiles before applying the grout? thanks again

Old 11-08-05, 06:58 AM
Unclejemima
Visiting Guest
well, it all depends on the type of grout, color of grout, and color of granite. It definatly wont hurt to seal it before grouting...i always do. A dark grout or an epoxy grout can stain the granite, but for the most part, you use a dark grout with a dark granite, and light grout with a light granite, so it is usually not an issue.
Answer: yes, i would seal my granite before grouting if it was in my house. Remember, always READ THE INSTRUCTIONS of the sealer.

-mark

Old 11-08-05, 05:18 PM
Giruto
Visiting Guest
thanks, Mark. I appreciate your input

Old 11-09-05, 06:00 PM
Unclejemima
Visiting Guest
no prob!
-mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question