Need some advice with bathroom

Old 11-06-05, 01:40 AM
Goldenrayx
Visiting Guest
Need some advice with bathroom

Hello,

Here is my delima. Our washing machine broke down this week and we had some water damage to the ceramic tiles on the floor. When we saw that the tiles were comming off we proceded to take the ones that were coming out by themself about 20 tiles out of 100 came off just by applying a small presure with a big screwdriver under the tiles.

My wife told me she saw some renovation show and that it would be easy to re-install the tiles we took out. Well it doesnt seem to be quite as easy as it is on the television shows. My problem is not with installing new tiles but with taking out the cement that is on the plywood floor.

Here is what I have currently tried. Scraping the cement doesnt seem to work, it is realy hard and i am not sure if it is the normal kind of cement you would put on a plywood to install tiles, this thing is as hard as it can get. I bougth some sort of cement remover from my hardware store but even if this thing seems to be as toxic as it can get it still only damages the top layer of the cement. Putting some hot water on the cement does the same thing it only damages the cement.

I am running out of options and would like to hear what you guys think I should do. Taking out all of the plywood doesnt seem like a good option as I guess I would have to rip off all of the cabinets? If i take out all the tiles and reput some cement over the old one, would that work or would the floor be uneveen and the tiles eventualy break with the presure? Is there any products that could work on removing this easily?

I have been able to take of the cement of about 4 tiles worth so far in about 7 hours of work, and one of the tiles we took off broke and I cant find a replacement for it. I could use that broken tiles but if there was an easyer way to redo everything with new tiles I would really be interested to hear about it.

Thx in advance for the help.

A desperate Home repairman

Last edited by Goldenrayx; 11-06-05 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could try an electric chipping hammer (rent from HD for about $50/day) and use a 2" spade on the end of it. Dont worry about gouging the plywood a little , it will be unavaoidable. For what remains try rubbing with a masons rubbing stone also sold at HD. Use a 5 way tool and a hammer to get into the corners.

Old 11-06-05, 12:33 PM
Goldenrayx
Visiting Guest
Would there be an easyer way to just replace everything?

Old 11-06-05, 04:08 PM
Goldenrayx
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Tileguybob
You could try an electric chipping hammer (rent from HD for about $50/day) and use a 2" spade on the end of it. Dont worry about gouging the plywood a little , it will be unavaoidable. For what remains try rubbing with a masons rubbing stone also sold at HD. Use a 5 way tool and a hammer to get into the corners.
Went to the HD store today and they indeed had some chipping hammers for rent. When I talked to the guy about my dilema, he told me I could just take away the remaining tiles and put glue cement over the current cemment and level new tiles on the old plywood floor with the old cement left over it.

Can anyone confirm if what the guy said is rigth, cuz if it is I would indeed use that way.

Old 11-06-05, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can do something like that but not exactly. You can spread a Self Leveling Cement (@ $35/bag) over the floor to level it out and set on that after it dries overnight, but without seeing your situation firsthand I dont know if it is even feasible. Depending on the size of the room you may go through a lot of bags and you will need to go at least 1/4" deep or more to cover the old cement. The less you cover now the harder it will be to keep the tile flat when installing them.

Old 11-06-05, 09:25 PM
Goldenrayx
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Tileguybob
You can do something like that but not exactly. You can spread a Self Leveling Cement (@ $35/bag) over the floor to level it out and set on that after it dries overnight, but without seeing your situation firsthand I dont know if it is even feasible. Depending on the size of the room you may go through a lot of bags and you will need to go at least 1/4" deep or more to cover the old cement. The less you cover now the harder it will be to keep the tile flat when installing them.
Im working on a nigth shift tonigth, but ill take pictures tomorow morning and post them up for you so you can see exacly what i am talking about. I was a bit skeptical at what this person was saying as i always heard that a tile that is not leveled would eventualy crack or break. It seem a bit hard to believe i could easily recement over and have an easy leveld finished for the tiles.

Old 11-07-05, 01:15 AM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
Scraping the cement doesnt seem to work, it is realy hard and i am not sure if it is the normal kind of cement you would put on a plywood to install tiles, this thing is as hard as it can get
Just a thought, but as I am reading this I am wondering if you're not trying to remove the cement underlayment board?

Old 11-07-05, 03:37 AM
Goldenrayx
Visiting Guest
Ok here are the pictures I said I would post

A global view of part of the current floor

Close up of a section I havent touched or scraped yet, as you can see a section of the cement left with the tile

Close up of a section I havent touched or scraped yet, this section is full, nothing left with the tile

Close up of a section i was able to scrape

Just a thought, but as I am reading this I am wondering if you're not trying to remove the cement underlayment board?
Look at the pictures and tell me if this is what i am doing. I am kind of new to tile floors. I did some wood floors previously and carpet also, but tiles are a first for me, so I am learning as I go along.

Old 11-07-05, 11:07 AM
JonBurrows
Visiting Guest
Nope, definetly looks like old thin set still adhered to the plywood substrate... Been there, done that. The only advise I can give you is have patience and don't get too frustrated with it.. It took me almost a week to take up a bathroom floor doing a little every night.. Buy yourself a really good respirator and cheap grinder and go at it. Becarefuly not to gouge the plywood too much.... but if you do in a few spots, your cement backer board should cover your sins...