How to hire a tile man and where to buy product cheap

Old 11-07-05, 08:05 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
What to do about backing?

In my bathroom i have alot tiles that have broken and especially in my shower. I would like to replace my tiles but I would prefer not to do it myself - Does anyone know how to find someone to install tile? Secondly - where should i go to get inexpensive tile? I am selling my condo so I dont want the upper tier of tile. I am in Atlanta, GA if that helps. Thanks!

Last edited by blakeas; 11-11-05 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try a few of the local mom & pop type tile retailers. They can give you the kind of tile you want rather than picking from the shelf. Some also offer installation on the tile they sell.

Old 11-07-05, 11:31 PM
ncage1974
Visiting Guest
First of all finding cheap tile. I would definitly not go to the mom/pop type of tile places and get it. They don't deal in the volume some of the bigger tile place and can't give you the same discount. I would get the tile at a place like Menards/Lowes/Home Depot. Thats where your going to find descent tile for a cheap price. I searched the local tile places around here and couldn't find anything for under $2.00 square foot...and even that price was hard to find. I found a nice tile at menards for $1.27 square foot. On contractors, i would just ask the local tile places on names for they recommend and the people will probably be very good. I just won't look in a local classified and pick people out of there cause you will get some people in situations like that won't do a very good job. I can tell you right now that i know you don't want to spend a lot of money here but expect to pay a lot for someone to to tiling. Its very labor intensive work and its not cheap. If you find someone that will do it really cheaply then they will probably do a crappy job.

ncage

Old 11-08-05, 12:53 AM
BFN
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ncage1974
First of all finding cheap tile. I would definitly not go to the mom/pop type of tile places and get it. They don't deal in the volume some of the bigger tile place and can't give you the same discount.

That's stupid.

Anyone who can buy in bulk can give you the best deal. definitely go to Home Depot or Menards, as opposed to any mom & pop shack.

Old 11-08-05, 07:42 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
I found some tile and have looked around and to repair tile it doesnt look to involved so I am going to give it a shot - below is some pictures of what I have to replace - the first is a crack inside the shower and the next is a lip right outside my shower - any suggestions?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These are the ones outside the shower

Old 11-11-05, 07:41 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
I took off the tile and here is how it looks - is that drywall or concrete backing? I am taking off the other 6 tiles that are broken - do i need to replace that backing?? And How do i do that?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/IMG_0033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/IMG_0034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/IMG_0035.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: