Bathroom Tile and walls

Old 11-07-05, 08:45 AM
eva*destruction
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Tile and walls

I've started remodeling my old bathroom. (circa' 1950's) I just couldn't stand the peach field tiles with black trim anymore.
So, everything is out, ie. toilet and sink, I took down all the old crusty tiles. All that is left is the cement/mortar wall.
Do I HAVE to take the walls down to the studs? Can I use the same cement walls?? I'm putting the tile up exactly the way it was using all white tiles.
Could I just use this product or something similiar to even out the walls, then tile over top?

I really don't want to have to take the walls down to the studs.

thanks.
~eva.

Old 11-07-05, 08:55 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your old wall surface is "sound" and not too uneven, you can use thinset morter to smooth out the uneven areas. As you'll be using the same product to set your tile, it might work out better than buying different types of products and throwing away more than you need to.

Old 11-07-05, 03:52 PM
eva*destruction
Visiting Guest
thanks for the speedy response!!

so, yeah, I think the walls are pretty sound. I'm going to check to see how level they are. They remained pretty intact... except of course where the toilet paper holder and soap dish once were.
I need to figure out how to cover up the holes. (the wire meshh is still in place)
I'm going to replace the fixtures with metal ones.

any suggestions??

Old 11-07-05, 04:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ardex k-15 is a self leveler for use on floors.

Old 11-07-05, 05:54 PM
eva*destruction
Visiting Guest
any other suggestions on what I should use?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: