How can I paint ceramic tile

Old 11-07-05, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I paint ceramic tile

Hi all:

I have a wood stove which sits on ceramic tile. The tile color is too light a color with everything involving a wood stove (ashes, bark etc). I'm trying to paint ceramic a darker color. WE have tried using latex primer, then paint, but after drying the paint just peels off. Is there any special type of primer/paint we can use to successfully complete this job?? Please help!! Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....ssshep

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 11:10 PM
workinman
Visiting Guest
you will have to acid etch the tile to take the enamel off so the paint will stick.

Old 11-13-05, 02:12 PM
Replace them or go over them, painting won't last and will look like crap.

Old 11-19-05, 08:26 PM
Painting over tile is not a long-term durable option, especially in an area that will receive a lot of use, abuse, and cleaning such as around a wood stove.

Old 04-03-06, 10:33 AM
pattron
Visiting Guest
painting ceramic tiles

We have ceramic tiles behind our wood stove and cement brick underneath the stove. We want to paint both with wood stove paint. We were going to sand the shine off the tiles first. Do you think, this will work?

Old 04-03-06, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Both of you folks need to mechanically abraid the tile surface before you should expect any coating to attach itself to the surface. And even then, don't fall in love with it because it isn't likely to last.

Typically sandpaper and a beltsander is the most efficient means of abraiding the tile for a homeowner. The problem is going to be that the sandpaper and belts you find today are mostly all aluminum oxcide and it isn't as tuff as the tile. A better choice in abrasives would be silicon carbide but they aren't readily available in most areas.

If you can't find silicon carbide belts in your area they can be ordered from Braxton-Bragg Company in Tennessee, any size you need is available there.

Trying to acid-etch a tile surface is a waste of time and hazardous to all involved. Mechanically etching is the only sure-fired means of doing it safely.

Old 04-03-06, 06:10 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I agree with tileman - it will end up looking like crap. Consider replacing with new tile.