Underlayments for tile...which one???

Old 11-15-05, 01:26 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underlayments for tile...which one???

I've been reading on this site for the last month or so and seem to be gettin mixed up as to what is for what. Is hardibacker and wonderboard the same thing? And are both meant to underlay tile in a floor application? When workin on shower areas, isn't durock the underlayment to use? Havin fun, but wanna do it right, and not have to fix it later on...thanks...
Oh yeah, by the way, I'm about to saw/pry up the old mortar bed in the bathroom and was hopin that the new floor would go as such: wood (already there), hardi or wonder, mortar base for levelling, thinset, then tile. I need about an inch build-up from the wood to enable me to tile even with the hallway.
If it ain't broke...fix it!!!
Old 11-15-05, 11:14 AM
Tileguybob's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ocean Grove, NJ
Posts: 931
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are all generically called cement boards or CBUs. Some are comprised of different ingredients but they all perform the same after being installed correctly. On the floor 1/4" is predominently used while on the wall 1/2" is the norm. Follow all instructions by the maker.
The plan sounds ok depending on what kind of wood is at the base level. Planking will need a 1/2" sheet of ply over it to isolate the movement that occurs in planks from the tile so they dont crack. You can use a Self Leveling Cement to bring up any low spots. You mix it real loose pour it over the CBU and it seeks it's own level so be careful it doesnt run down a hole or out the doorway

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: