How to cut limestone?

Old 11-28-05, 11:02 PM
Mat347
Visiting Guest
How to cut limestone?

I was given about 25sq ft of nice limestone($25 sq/ft) which is just about perfect for my half-bath. I have a 7" wet tile saw with two different types of diamond blades. I've tried both blades on extra pieces and at the very last 1/2" or so, it splits, usually making one side just about useless. I've tried going VERY slowly with better, but similar results. Is there a trick to cutting this stuff??

Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem is with the saw, don't know what brand you have or type of blade, and if the blade isn't square with the table, this will happen, seeing you only have a small amount to cut, an angle grinder with a 4 or 4 1/2" drycut blade will do it, wear safety glasses and cut outside, alot of dust, also unlike a wet saw blade, don't touch a drycut blade when cutting.

Old 11-29-05, 09:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried cutting half way through from one side then flipping it around and, after very careful measurements, cut again to meet in the middle?

Old 11-29-05, 10:32 PM
Mat347
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jnpremodeling
Have you tried cutting half way through from one side then flipping it around and, after very careful measurements, cut again to meet in the middle?
I was thinking this exact thing last night, I will give this a try. If not I'll have to go with Tileman's advice.

BTW, the saw is just a cheapy $80 saw I'm borrowing from my uncle.

There are quite a few half cut pieces already, I was planning on doing a border with the halves and diagonal in the middle. Will I be able to make straight enough cuts with an angle saw?

Old 11-30-05, 07:17 PM
With a steady hand, yes.

Old 12-05-05, 10:20 PM
Mat347
Visiting Guest
Just wanted to update...it looks like flipping the tile in the last inch or so will do the trick. It still comes apart, but only to complete the cut. It no longer takes large chunks of corners when they come apart. Thanks for the help guys!