Stand-up shower tile???

Old 12-11-05, 10:02 AM
pwregister
Visiting Guest
Stand-up shower tile???

First, thanks for all the help on this website. I am close to being completely finished with a whole-house RENO>

BUT, I am tiling the stand-up shower area. And I was just wondering any specifics on the type of tile/grout/backerboard/ etc etc. I want to make sure it is the correct stuff for the bathroom/shower with humidity and water and such.

Thanks a ton,
PWR

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use a 1/2" cement backerboard on the walls in the wet area of the shower surround. Put a vapor barrier behind it to protect the wood studs from any water intrusion in the future. 15 lb roofing felt or 4 or 6 mil poly plastic drop cloth will do fine. Tape all seams and corners of the cement board with mesh tape and a coat of modified thinset to unify the boards. Backerboard screws will work when hanging the cement board on the wall. Now you are ready to set the tile.

In a wet area we do not advise the use of wall mastic as it has a tendency to re-emulsify and lose its bond if it gets wet. Modified thinset will work. Hang a ledger board at the bottom of the shower to support the first full row of tile until the thinset sets up overnight. You can use spacers to keep the rows above from sliding down. There are new thinsets out on the market that dont let the tile slide but they are still hard to find. Laticrete 255 is one and Custom MegaLight is another. If you can find either, no need for the ledger board.

Old 12-11-05, 08:23 PM
pwregister
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much TileGuyBOb. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure I got the right kind of tile.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Old 12-21-05, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tileguybob
Tape all seams and corners of the cement board with mesh tape and a coat of modified thinset to unify the boards.
When you say "modified thinset" what exactly are you referring to? A thinset with polymer strengthening additive?

Old 12-21-05, 12:34 PM
Yes, the bag will say modified or fortified or something to that effect. It gets mixed with just water. Use it for setting the tile to the shower or bath walls as well. No matter what the packaging may claim, you should not use any premixed in a bucket products (mastics) in a wet area. Anything called "pre-mixed thinset" is really just mastic with sand in it so don't let it fool you.

Old 12-21-05, 03:05 PM
Thanks.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel myself; just got back from my local home improvement store with some cement backerboard and other goodies. I already bought some thinset and a separate container of polymer additive. I'm pretty certain the words "modified" or "fortified" weren't no the bags of thinset. I'll double check before using the additive, however.

Old 12-21-05, 04:26 PM
What brand is it and what does it say, name on the bag?

Old 12-21-05, 05:03 PM
The brand is C-Cure and it just says thinset mortar. Can't find "modified" or "fortified" or anything similar on the bag.

Old 12-21-05, 05:52 PM
I never used that one, this should help.

http://www.swiff-train.com/techdb/sh...p?brand=C-CURE